Does anyone have a scanner and these issues of BYO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
According to BYO's website, they have ran articles about building you own beer engine in the following two issues:

# Build a Beer Engine (May, 1997)
# Build a Beer Engine: Projects (Jan, 2005)

Boy, I would love to read those (no full text online versions)! Does anyone have back issues and a scanner? Or . . . does anyone have any other links to similar projects? My local brewpub/Brew-on-Premise (John S. Rhodell's in Peoria, IL) has had a cask conditioned ale on lately. Drinking it last night has given me a new obsession.

I would really like to see how easy it is to make one before spending around $500 + on a new one.

sonvolt said:
According to BYO's website, they have ran articles about building you own beer engine in the following two issues:

Boy, I would love to read those (no full text online versions)! Does anyone have back issues and a scanner? Or . . . does anyone have any other links to similar projects? My local brewpub/Brew-on-Premise (John S. Rhodell's in Peoria, IL) has had a cask conditioned ale on lately. Drinking it last night has given me a new obsession.

I would really like to see how easy it is to make one before spending around $500 + on a new one.

I actually have scanned images of the 2005 article. Send me your e-mail address to [email protected] and I will forward oyu the pics.

First of all, I am not sure that this is infringement in any way. Now, if he charged me something to send the article, I think we would have a problem. You could go to your public library, photocopy an article from any periodical, and then lend your photocopy to a friend . . . would this be problematic?

If we were photocopying every page of recent issues and distributing them widely, I think that there would be some ethical issues . . . but a copy of one article from a back issue . . . can't be a big deal.

BTW, BYO puts a lot of there articles in full text on the web. They must be interested in sharing as well.

One more thing . . . great article!! This thing looks really easy to make, although I won't use aluminum for the mounting of the galley pump - I'd prefer all wood. Now, all I need to do is find a place to sell me a galley pump and a bunch of friends who like to drink cask conditioned ale.

I only have 5 gallon corny kegs to use, so I will have to drink it all in a few days to prevent oxidation. Putting a CO2 blanket on the beer to preserve it will ruin the effect, right?

sonvolt said:
One more thing . . . great article!! This thing looks really easy to make, although I won't use aluminum for the mounting of the galley pump - I'd prefer all wood. Now, all I need to do is find a place to sell me a galley pump and a bunch of friends who like to drink cask conditioned ale.

I only have 5 gallon corny kegs to use, so I will have to drink it all in a few days to prevent oxidation. Putting a CO2 blanket on the beer to preserve it will ruin the effect, right?
I don't know anything about Beer engines but couldn't you purge the air from your corny when you are done serving? I would think a layer of CO2 over the beer would help keep it fresh. I'm not talking about carbonating it more. Just enough CO2 to push out the air.

If this won't work you will need to invite friends over when you start serving. I'd be willing to do my part to help you consume your beer before it goes bad.

:D

Yeah . . . I'll bet just a bit of Co2 would not be a bad thing. But I think that I will just plan on having a few days of really heavy celebration. I'll put out the word that "real ale" is on tap, and everyone will stop by for some!!! I'll let you all know how it works out.

sonvolt said:
Yeah . . . I'll bet just a bit of Co2 would not be a bad thing. But I think that I will just plan on having a few days of really heavy celebration. I'll put out the word that "real ale" is on tap, and everyone will stop by for some!!! I'll let you all know how it works out.
Chances are you will drain the keg in one night!
Yes. I want to hear how it turns out. I've never tried a cask conditioned beer.

I was just making a joke, but to be perfectly honest, infringement does not mean you're profitting off of it. Check the copyright page--I would think they'd include this. The publisher I work for does. Any unauthorized reproduction is illegal. We all do it, so what...if I had the article I'd scan it in for the board.

Okay . . . after reading both of those articles, it is official. I am currently obsessed with cask conditioned ales. Perhaps the lack of a steady local source of cask conditioned ale is a factor here. My local brewpub only has it on a very rare basis.

So, I am confused about the last couple of paragraph in the 2005 article. Here, the author suggests serving the beer from the keg via gravity (i.e. tipping the keg upside down) and adding CO2 to the beer out line. I thought that the point of the pump was to draw beer opposite of gravity :confused: .

Is this an "alternate" method in the event that the brewer does not want air touching the beer?

I figured that I would open the vent on my corny, attach the "beer engine," and start pumping until I got beer coming out the faucet.

Anyone familiar with this process/design/etc.?

Back