Does anyone have a Budweiser clone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a true Bud clone, you'll need substantial acetaldehyde (green apple) character. I hear that AB actually just adds it to the beer, but a homebrewer probably needs to coax it from the yeast.

TL

TexLaw said:
If you want a true Bud clone, you'll need substantial acetaldehyde (green apple) character. I hear that AB actually just adds it to the beer, but a homebrewer probably needs to coax it from the yeast.

TL

I looked it up and this is what it said........

Acetaldehyde
Acetaldehyde is perceived in both aroma and flavor as green apples, and in an oxidized state as acetic-cider. In the natural anaerobic fermentation process, Acetaldehyde is a precursor to ethanol:

Glucose -> pyruvic acid -> acetaldehyde -> ethanol

Underdeveloped or young beer exhibits acetaldehyde wherein the yeast cannot reabsorb or finish the conversion process. The other version manifests from oxidation of ethanol or bacterial contamination, the cycle being:

ethanol -> acetaldehyde -> acetic acid

Acetaldehyde is typically inappropriate in any style, though Budweiser has integrated it within their flavor profile with obvious success intentionally. Furthermore, Salvator & EKU-28 also display acetaldehyde, though in lower amounts. Cold storage for short durations promotes acetaldehyde in the final product, whereas longer cold storage would ultimately reduce acetaldehyde into ethanol — hence the cure.

Beerthoven said:
+1 Quit ragging on Bud.

Sweet screaming Jesus, how many times do I have to read "piss in a bottle" or "wave the hops in its general direction"? Ha Ha Ha Good One! Thats super original.

American Light Lager is extremely difficult to make and I seriously doubt any of you could even come close. I know I couldn't.

The OP says he wants to do it as a test, as a challenge. I think he should be encouraged to try and I'd really like it if he came back and posted his results. Do you think he will if all he gets for his efforts are juvenile "piss in a bottle" comments from the peanut gallery?

Beerthoven, I will not quit mocking Budweiser. It's really difficult to make a hamburger that tastes like McDonald's, but that doesn't mean that it's better than the one I make on my grill.

Additionally, since when did this forum become a spot where you can't have a little fun. Quickly, everybody grab your sweater vest, pipe, and brandy snifter. It's time to be serious.

Mr. T.C. if you want to experiment and make an American light lager just do the following:
1. Take a decent Pilsner recipe.
2. Replace half the base grain with rice solids.
3. Cut the IBUs down to 4-8.

Make sure you ferment it on the cold side (+- 60) and control the fermentation temp precisely. After fermentation, lager for no more than 2 weeks because it can't stand up to any aging due to the high amount of adjunct, low alcohol, and lack of malt character (which is precisely why they put the "Born on" date on the can).

Back