Does anyone else detect diacetyl in Sam Adams beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I believe I am highly sensitive to diacetyl or I am confusing it with another flavor...

I do not drink Sam Adams that often. Only because I do not purchase that much commercial beer overall and when I do I try to sample new things. I think Sam Adams is solid beer overall. I recently tried their Irish Red and thought it rather buttery. Then I was out bowling and the only good beer in the lounge was Boston Lager so I had a few. Again, I found it a bit buttery. It has been a year or more since I have had any other Sam Adams and I think lately my tastes have either become more acute or more acutely screwed up!

Anyone else find at least some SA beers to have a diacetyl character? Perhaps even some other East Coast breweries? It may be the yeast strains...

edit: Damn wireless keyboard is low on batteries. Thus all the spelling mistakes. Yeah that's it, it is the keyboard! Not operator error!

My buddy had a keg of it(lager) about 6 months ago, and it had a faint hint of butterscotch to it. I realize this is a flaw, but it was delicious!

I had a Boston Lager at a Clipper game last year (the lone tap of SNPA at Staples Center was dry!) and it definitely had a hint of butter. Can't say if that's the norm, as I seldom drink it.

To clarify, I am not calling it a flaw. I just seem to sense it. Though for what it is worth I do not care for diacetyl and am pretty attuned to its presence.

That being said, no it is not a flaw per se. Though in a lager some may argue it is a flaw... I could care less as I am not very excited about lagers one way or the other.

I think I've tried every beer that they brew and haven't found one yet that I really like.
the initial flavor is o.k. ,but I find it has a dirty aftertaste. less so in darft than bottled but it's still there.

Yeah. I wouldn't call it a flaw persay, but I think it is part of the characteristic of their beer. It is either diacetyl or something they add to give it that flavor that to us tastes like diacetyl. Whatever it is, you can bet a brewery like Sam Adams has the technology to know what they're doing, and you bet it is intentional.

My friends can never tell the difference and tell me im crazy but i ,too, notice the diacetyl flavor more than some other people. Were you drinking it on tap or from bottle? The only time ive ever tasted it is from the tap... maybe dirty lines?

Nope, from the bottle each time.

Again, I ain't saying it is a flaw. I just never noticed it in the past. Now it screams at me. Many east coast (New England especially) breweries use yeast strains that have a diacetyl character to them. Many of which are located in Maine. Seems to be a big English beer influence up here.

Latest posts

Back