Does any one use Brewtoad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do for all my recipes. It used to be "hopville.com" which was easier to use but didn't have as many features. I like the brew log ability of brewtoad. It's helpful if you want to repeat a recipe and learn from mistakes along the way. I also find brewtoad's mash/sparge water calculator useful on brew day.

Also a brewtoad user.

I agree with Jayhem -- sometimes I do miss hopville, but after getting used to it I quite like brewtoad. Best thing of all, though, is that I can get to all of my recipes/brew logs/calculators from anywhere (that is, my phone). I'm a big fan of working out my recipe at home on the website, then all I have to do at LHBS is navigate to the grain bill on my phone.

Only complaint is that I often find the math to be a little funny; when compared to predicted gravities, IBUs, SRMs, etc from other popular software, websites, or even numbers in published recipes, there's always something that's just off. Clearly this isn't a big enough problem to stop me from using the site.

I'm also a big fan of the recent overhaul of the site. I find navigation easier, stuff is less cluttered, and the features I actually use are highlighted rather than buried. I had some frustrations with the recipe process, especially regarding "custom" ingredients not in the database. However they've continued tweaking, and most of these issues have been resolved.

</babbling>

Only complaint is that I often find the math to be a little funny; when compared to predicted gravities, IBUs, SRMs, etc from other popular software, websites, or even numbers in published recipes, there's always something that's just off. Clearly this isn't a big enough problem to stop me from using the site.

I also found that their numbers were a little off from what I and others would get.

I also found that their numbers were a little off from what I and others would get.

Yeah it is driving me nuts. Just making a simple APA recipe with two fermentables at most. If you choose Base Malt as the type of Fermentable the predicted ranges go to 1004 for OG. I have like 13 lbs of MO with Use set to Mash and its OG is 1004...yeah. However, if I change that type from Base Malt to Caramel/Crystal Malt it goes up to like 1080. They don't really have a good support system there either...but it is free. Damn things is throwing my IBUs out of whack. I still use BrewTarget quite a bit, so going to have to throw this in there and figure it up. Brewtoad is still cool and makes sharing recipes way easy. Just got to get those numbers predicted numbers in line.

I tried to use it but couldn't figure out how to have it calculate my water volumes. Maybe I missed something..

I was a Hopville user since I started brewing before the switch to Brewtoad.

In my opinion, there are better free online brewing calculators that are just easier to use.

Brewology101, MyBrewCo, Brewer Assistant.....just to name a few.

Latest posts

Back