Does a keggle take longer to boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
I'm needing to get a larger brew pot. I'm eying a converted keg. I'm wondering if it takes longer to come to boil than a regular stainless pot.

Anyone able to tell me your experience with them?

Depends on what kind of burner you have,when I first got mine I only had a turkey deep fryer burner and that did not cut it. Bought a bayou burner works great with my keggle. So I would say yes it will take longer with proper BTU burner

My buddy has a keggle and a turkey fryer to heat it up... I am pretty sure we got 10 gallons of water to temp in 15-20 min during the fall. When we brewed in 25 degree F weather, it probably took 30 min. His turkey fryer is a beast. When I start to put together my own set of brewing equipment, I will likely go the keggle route. It is nice to have the thermometer to monitor... well... temperature and a ball valve to transfer fluids out of the brew kettle.

Straight SS pot, no. Tri-clad or other AL or CU sandwich, yes...but not by much. This is all assuming propane fired. Induction or electric water heater element changes the equation considerably.

There was a thread where I compared numbers with a guy with a thin bottom pot vs my keggle and the difference was huge. I would say %60 difference. I can't recall if the pot was aluminum or not though. Cooling also takes longer.

I've used both quite a few times, and the heating difference isn't enough to worry... as long as your burner and other variables are sufficient. It does take a small amount longer to cool your wort in a keggle though. Great time to add hops! Lol!

A lot of times, you can find a nice 15g or 20g stainless used (sometimes new) kettle for the price of a keggle now days. Prices keep going up on those babies.

Bit of advice (maybe just a personal opinion): Make sure the thermometer is below the 5g mark. That way you can use the same equipment to play with smaller batches...

I've used both and sold my keggles because the difference was so great. Propane is expensive and I save over an hour going with a good pot over the keggle. My burners are all Blichmann Top Tier. Not the biggest out there but not bad.

My keggle takes a little longer than my old Al 9 gal pot, but not enough that I notice. I have a SQ14 burner.

As a side benefit, the extra mass of the keggle has helped my mash - since I BIAB, the big heavy keggle holds temp better.

A 20# propane fill here is about $14. A new Blichman 15 gal is around $350. Say a keggle is $50 and the new Blichman pot uses 1/2 the gas of the keggle, you will need about 40 batches to break even. If you brew once a month, that's almost 3.5 years to make up the difference.

Back