Does a grain's country of origin matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexnova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does where a grain come from make a big difference in beer? For example, we can get a vienna malt made with barley grown (and malted) in several places. I expect there to be some differences in US vienna malt vs German or Canadian etc., but are these differences worth considering? Do they matter much?

I am exploring this by buying different malts from different countries. I think it does make some difference. It obviously matters more for something like an all-pils beer than something with lots of specialty malts.

I would say it only matters if you are attempting to make a brew as close as possible to a recipe. There will be differences. But then again there would be some difference year to year. Especially with the hops.

I don't worry about it. But then again, these days, I am creating my own recipes so I have nothing to compare my beer to.

There are flavor differences that you can determine in advance simply by chewing on a few grains from multiple origins or maltsters. Choose the ones that taste best to you.

I'm of the opinion that there are also DI mash pH differences for base malts grown in NA vs. UK/Europe (with NA base malts in general having a lower DI mash pH). This latter issue affects adjustments required to hit your mash pH target.

There are flavor differences that you can determine in advance simply by chewing on a few grains from multiple origins or maltsters. Choose the ones that taste best to you.

I'm of the opinion that there are also DI mash pH differences for base malts grown in NA vs. UK/Europe (with NA base malts in general having a lower DI mash pH). This latter issue affects adjustments required to hit your mash pH target.

Yep^^^^what he said^^^^

Does where a grain come from make a big difference in beer? For example, we can get a vienna malt made with barley grown (and malted) in several places. I expect there to be some differences in US vienna malt vs German or Canadian etc., but are these differences worth considering? Do they matter much?

Varieties of barley grown, where they are grown, who malts them and how can all make a huge difference IMO. Taste pale malts from North America, the UK, and Germany at your LHBS if you can. If you don't notice any differences then just buy the cheapest malt you can find. In general the European malts have deeper and richer flavor than domestic. If you're making a low malt-flavored high IBU IPA that may not matter but with other style it can be significant. Vienna malt in particular has been considered more of a specialty rather than a base malt by domestic producers although perhaps now somebody is making a true Vienna in North America. Personally I wouldn't attempt to brew a Vienna without using German made Vienna malt. YMMV :mug:

I would say it only matters if you are attempting to make a brew as close as possible to a recipe. There will be differences. But then again there would be some difference year to year. Especially with the hops.

I don't worry about it. But then again, these days, I am creating my own recipes so I have nothing to compare my beer to.

Yeah, this is the same for me. It depends on the beer I'm brewing. If I'm doing a regional style of beer (like a bohemian pilsner, or something straight up Belgian) or an historical beer (like an 1860's British Porter - like a commercial clone from "Shut up about Barclay Perkins" , then yeah, I might go for the grain specific to that used in that region.... or as close as I can get to it, but I don't sweat it if I can't find it.

But with my "generic" everyday drinking beers, like a house IPA, I'll use whatever grain... usually whatever generic base 2-row might be the cheapest at my LHBS...

It also depends (if you're don't doing online shopping) on where you buy your stuff at. My main LHBS was one of the first homebrewshops to open in Michigan, it's been there forever, is huge, and has every grain imaginable in bulk, including regional varieties of all the malts, so I rarely ever have a problem with sourcing specifics... but I've also shopped at homebrewshops that just have one maltser malts...usually not even in bulk... so then it's just you get what you get.

Yeast and hops I think I pay more attention to regionality/style closeness to.

So for me it varies from beer to beer.. some situations, yes, it matters to me.. and in other beers notsomuch.

Personally I wouldn't attempt to brew a Vienna without using German made Vienna malt. YMMV :mug:

We have a new "boutique" maltser in Michigan, and this time last year he released his first batch of vienna malt, and I pilot tested it for him with my vienna lager recipe. It was awesome to do, and tasted great.. BUT the retail cost of it was actually MORE than the German malt. As fun as it was to do, I would never pay full retail for it. LOL

The last few lagers/kolsches I've used various German malts. I do feel they were better than the briess I was getting previously. Just a different flavor to the pilsner malt I believe. But I agree that for some other beers, hops run the show.

Back