Does 2019 Nelson Exists?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
Besides ordering directly from NZ or AUS and paying elevated shipping costs, does 2019 Nelson exist? The US hops are going to hit the market before this does.

Um, the Earth is round. 2019 Southern Hemisphere hops were harvested in their Autumn, which was our Spring. The new harvest was heavily promoted by the retailers at the time. Much of it is long since sold out.

Um, the Earth is round. 2019 Southern Hemisphere hops were harvested in their Autumn, which was our Spring. The new harvest was heavily promoted by the retailers at the time. Much of it is long since sold out.
I clearly understand this aus harvest is April NZ harvest is slightly later. First contract commercial breweries typically get their southern hems by mid June and typically they are released to home brews at least by mid July, which is when I got my 2019 galaxy. The NZ varieties came out a little later but Nelson 2019 was never release by anyone here in the US tHat I know of, which is why I asked the question.

@Robert65 sjnce you felt the need to educate me let me return the favor. The seasons have nothing to do with the roundness of the earth, therorerically any shaped earth would have some form of seasons. It’s the tilt of the earth’s axis and its obit around the sun that determines the season.

I asked Yakima Valley Hops yesterday, their response wasn’t too promising.

“I wish I had a hard date for Nelson, but we don’t have a date yet. All that being said, I would recommend not waiting for Nelson to order since we don’t quite know yet.”

I asked Yakima Valley Hops yesterday, their response wasn’t too promising.

“I wish I had a hard date for Nelson, but we don’t have a date yet. All that being said, I would recommend not waiting for Nelson to order since we don’t quite know yet.”
I got a similar response in August

Well that sucks:smh:, I will have to buy beer to get my Nelson fix

If anyone wants any 2018 I’ve got a bunch I’d part with. It’s almost all BSG Nelson.

Lupulin Exchange is wonderful. If it's out there, you can get it.

If you can use commercial quantities that is.

Lucky this is available in 11 lb boxes, which I suppose isn't ludicrous if you do lots of Nelson-heavy IPAs. Often it's 44lbers and you've gotta buy multiples of em.
Yeah I’m going to have to talk the owner and Brewer at the local 3 bbl brewery and see if he is interested in grabbing some and I’d take a lb or two

Lucky this is available in 11 lb boxes, which I suppose isn't ludicrous if you do lots of Nelson-heavy IPAs. Often it's 44lbers and you've gotta buy multiples of em.

LOL! I did my first ever large bulk mail order purchase of hops this year. I think I got 8 lbs of a variety of hops. I feel like it is going to take me a while at my pace of around 10 gals brewed per month to use up those hops. I cannot imagine 11 lbs of a single hop.

For me, Nelson not being available to the homebrew market must means there are only 59 new hop varieties out there that I want to try but have not brewed with instead of 60.

Ouch...just clicked through that link. It is still $30.99 per lb in a 176 lb order!!

Yeah I’m going to have to talk the owner and Brewer at the local 3 bbl brewery and see if he is interested in grabbing some and I’d take a lb or two
Yeah, Mike is generally open to trying out new ingredients, so it might be possible. If it helps I can claim some also, though I don't see myself needing as much you.

Besides ordering directly from NZ or AUS and paying elevated shipping costs, does 2019 Nelson exist? The US hops are going to hit the market before this does.
Crossmyloof in the UK have 100g packs of 2019 Nelson Sauvin in stock and their shipping prices to the US aren't too bad. You can always take the opportunity to stock up on some of our English hops while you're there; they're rather good you know :)

Last edited:
Crossmyloof in the UK have 100g packs of 2019 Nelson Sauvin in stock and their shipping prices to the US aren't too bad. You can always take the opportunity to stock up on some of English hops while you're there; they're rather good you know :)
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve also been dyinng to brew an all Fuggles ipa with around 60 ibus. Read in an older book that the complexity of the beer is wonderful

Is there a way to tell harvest year on BSG homebrew packaging? I found a very reasonably priced source for Nelson and ordered two 8oz packs, but I’m not sure if they are 2018 or 2019 harvest year.

That’s where I was recently looking but with shipping it brings it up to roughly 42.99 a lb US
Considering that the last few years Galaxy has been upwards of $30/lb even on the pro spot market (and that's before freight!) and Citra has spiked again as well, that's honestly not that bad.

I’ve bought stuff from Beerco many times. You have to buy a few KG to make it worth it but.... it is the only place you’ll find Riwaka that will ship to the US and you can get the 2019 stuff really quickly after harvest.

Last time I ordered hops were here in 7 days and I’ve had 2019 Nelson and Riwaka since May/June. And it’s better than most of the Nelson I’ve bought in the US.

This is everything on the package for the BSG Nelson. Haven’t been able to get any results on the Hop Analysis search.

FD24-D952-4-DE3-4-CEA-BDC6-05-D44-AE9-E247.jpg

That's a shame. I've come to give some credit to BSG for offering lot analyses on their site, as for malts they handle. Buy a sack of Weyermann, get a COA. But they can't do it for stuff they themselves package?

20C3CC60-C207-4A9E-899E-12B9BFE52E74.jpeg
Here’s a nice all 2019 Nelson IPL. Hops came from beerco.

No grass and just a touch of that NZ diesel. Lagered at 30 for a month. Amazing what lager yeast can do with hops.

Last edited:
YVH has 2019 Nelson Sauvin in stock. I assume it’ll go fast so get what you need ASAP.

Back