Do you want to laugh/know how good a business is (American) beer in Finland, Europe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those 24-25 Euro prices are insane! But the others between 8-11 are often similarly priced (in dollars though) in some bars here in New York City.

Rev.

Those 24-25 Euro prices are insane! But the others between 8-11 are often similarly priced (in dollars though) in some bars here in New York City.

Rev.

Jeez, I pay $9-10 for a 6-pack of Lagunitas and even that seems "expensive" compared to the cost of homebrew.

I am a little more pissed off that you have a better beer selection than I do domestically. Can't get most of those beers here in the central plains yet many of them pass through on their way to other states. :mad:

Dollar to Euro exchange is almost even nowadays, so you a talking $10 to $12 for a pint.

I imagine their taxes are higher, duty to import it ... etc. Those beers are selling for $6.50 and $7 a pint here, so $10 or $13 seems about right.

I have seen plenty of 750 ml sized bottles here selling for $14-$20, a liter is 250ml more beer, so those other prices seem about right too.

I'd bet the difference is duty and sales taxes.

A lot of those are West Coast breweries as well. I wonder if they're trucked across the US then put on a boat. Or are they loaded on a boat that passes through the Panama Canal. Are East Coast beers any cheaper since shipping might less?

Are those prices in Euros?! That's crazy!

Yes those are euros! The worst is that sellers don't know anything about beer! And the craziest is that there is no quality homebrew shop, and only one has a frontstore. Only one homebrewing shop in Lahti, an almost lost area. After sale and sales service is crazy **** here too. I want to start a business and I can help anyone who could be interested to start a business with me here... I know very well anything around beer regulations and business opportunities and I would be happy to chat with anyone knowledgeable to start a business here... Cheers

Those hoppy beers are probably pretty stale by the time they get across the pond too. Lucky for you, Stone Brewing Berlin is about to open up

I am a little more pissed off that you have a better beer selection than I do domestically. Can't get most of those beers here in the central plains yet many of them pass through on their way to other states. :mad:

We have beers from at least 50 to 60 American breweries here... Why? Because this country pays more than any others, and people don't negotiate they buy! Easy to do business with and great customer for American breweries! This bar I am in is a Colorado brewery bar! Friend of mine I starting a brewery and has much less theoretical knowledge than me. And I have half of most people in this forum! Today I met a guy who did diploma of brewing at heriot watt in Scotland in 1988, and I was shocked the guy didn't know anything about beer. He said, "oh you are from Belgium, I think you have Stella Artois there, no? That is an excellent beer!". Ahahahahaha what the ****!

View attachment 1450287274036.jpg

Dollar to Euro exchange is almost even nowadays, so you a talking $10 to $12 for a pint.

I imagine their taxes are higher, duty to import it ... etc. Those beers are selling for $6.50 and $7 a pint here, so $10 or $13 seems about right.

I have seen plenty of 750 ml sized bottles here selling for $14-$20, a liter is 250ml more beer, so those other prices seem about right too.

I'd bet the difference is duty and sales taxes.

I know a lot about pricing, shipping pricing and taxes! I almost started import business 2 years ago... I was lacking funds though....

I know a lot about pricing, shipping pricing and taxes! I almost started import business 2 years ago... I was lacking funds though....

Ok. Best of luck to you in opening your pub!

Depending upon where that bar is located (airport, fancy shopping district, etc.), those prices seem too far out of line. Well, no more than beer prices in general which are ridiculous across the board.

Heck, if you go to a football game in the states, you'll pay about that for a Bud Light. haha

Beers like Sierra Nevada pale ale or doggie style pale ale sells for 2.5 dollars the litre big maximum! Excise duty is between 16 cents of euro per litre per % abv and 32 cents of euro based on the amount imported produced. I have gotten lots of quotes from breweries for two pallets orders and it can go very low... A beer like duvel from Belgium sells about 55 cents of euros the bottle if you had an import business. Regulations are different than in USA but it is very possible to make great business here. As an indication, a 4 000 bbls production per year brewery of a 5% abv beer will pay 400 000 euros per year of excise duty.

Beers like Sierra Nevada pale ale or doggie style pale ale sells for 2.5 dollars the litre big maximum! Excise duty is between 16 cents of euro per litre per % abv and 32 cents of euro based on the amount imported produced. I have gotten lots of quotes from breweries for two pallets orders and it can go very low... A beer like duvel from Belgium sells about 55 cents of euros the bottle if you had an import business. Regulations are different than in USA but it is very possible to make great business here. As an indication, a 4 000 bbls production per year brewery of a 5% abv beer will pay 400 000 euros per year of excise duty.

That is about 1.44 million cans and you compete with the biggest most commercial breweries of the countries at 1.1 dollar the can. A beer like fosters which is produced by synebrychoff brewery in Finland under license is sold 3.25 euros the pint in supermarket. 7 dollars the litre in supermarket. Insane! Litre of craft beer is about 10 dollars in supermarket.

Ok. Best of luck to you in opening your pub!

Depending upon where that bar is located (airport, fancy shopping district, etc.), those prices seem too far out of line. Well, no more than beer prices in general which are ridiculous across the board.

Heck, if you go to a football game in the states, you'll pay about that for a Bud Light. haha

For bud light, you must be kidding for sure!

Time to start growing your own 2-row, at least. Maybe some hops. Yeast, buy and propagate from starters.

Yikes, man...

Nope. $10 Bud and Bud Light is the norm at sporting events.

At Trail Blazers (Portland NBA team) pints of macro beers (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.) are $8 and pints of micro are $9. It's pretty funny that it's only $1 difference - especially since the micro lineup will always have some heavy hitters.

Come little bit to south - much better prices here. Got bottle of westvleteren 12 for 15€ yesterday :)

That is ****ed up! And people buy that crap! The margin is like Macdonald French fries, 2000 % times 20 the margin!

Not really any different than theaters charging $8 for a bag of popcorn when the bag has 8 cents worth of corn in it :) Same goes for the over inflated price of soda in theaters. If you go out to a venue for something like a baseball game they club you over the head with insane prices for everything, food/drink/merchandise/etc.

The sad part is people pay for it and so long as people pay the prices they continue to maintain or increase them instead of lower them. But of course people pay the prices because there's no other choice. You either starve and go thirsty or pay their prices because you're not allowed to bring in outside food/drink.

Rev.

Beer prices in Finland are high. Those are not absurd considering that in Helsinki you pay 4-7e for rubbish commercial lager. Similarly out of step prices per pint in Milano (but supermarkets much cheaper there).

Beer prices in Finland are high. Those are not absurd considering that in Helsinki you pay 4-7e for rubbish commercial lager. Similarly out of step prices per pint in Milano (but supermarkets much cheaper there).

I am from Belgium and what you get in supermarket there is so cheap! You get all the quality beer around 1.3 dollar the bottle in supermarket. Westmalle, triple karmeliet, chouffe, Kwak, Chimay,...

I am from Belgium and what you get in supermarket there is so cheap! You get all the quality beer around 1.3 dollar the bottle in supermarket. Westmalle, triple karmeliet, chouffe, Kwak, Chimay,...

Unless that's pint prices I don't call that cheap myself ..Its about 1.60 for quality beer per 12 oz bottle here in the states...Cost is the reason I started home brewing. I'm into .40 cents or less per bottle prices..:mug: We will pay about 4.50 for that same 1.60 beer in a pub here. Sometimes its just nice to be in their particular environment with friends so I don't complain.

Not really any different than theaters charging $8 for a bag of popcorn when the bag has 8 cents worth of corn in it :) Same goes for the over inflated price of soda in theaters. If you go out to a venue for something like a baseball game they club you over the head with insane prices for everything, food/drink/merchandise/etc.

The sad part is people pay for it and so long as people pay the prices they continue to maintain or increase them instead of lower them. But of course people pay the prices because there's no other choice. You either starve and go thirsty or pay their prices because you're not allowed to bring in outside food/drink.

Rev.

That's how theaters make money. If they didn't do that, they'd have to charge over twenty dollars a ticket, and even less people would go to the theater than they do now. Blame your $8 popcorn on Brad Pitt's 20 million pricetag and the idiots that pay him.

For sporting events, it's somewhat the same principle. Some leagues have shared revenue too... but that doesn't include what you buy directly from them. If you buy a shirt at the stadium or their individual website (not nfl.com, or mlb.com, etc), the team doesn't share that revenue. So you're putting money in your team's pocket for that star 3rb baseman... and not the rivals ace pitcher.

Let's get creepy now. Funeral homes charge a ton for caskets. That's how they make their money. All other services are nearly rock bottom to draw you in and away from their competitors. Severely cut throat business (no pun intended). Every time a customer brings in a coffin they purchased somewhere else (like a discount coffin store by the cemetery), the funeral home majority of the time loses money to do the work. That's not a valid business plan! Lol! I can see this changing with a new generation of morticians.

What I can't see changing is movie theaters and sporting events. Not until teams and movie production companies learn to control their spending. Or the vast majority of patrons stop buying tickets for movies/events... and I guess coffins. Lol!

Oh! And those beer prices are crazy in Finland. :mug:

This is why I save so much money by homebrewing. Just saw Sierra Nevada beers for the first time in Korea. About $5.50 a bottle, which was a lot cheaper than the first Korean Dogfish Head I`ve ever seen sitting next to it.

That's how theaters make money. If they didn't do that, they'd have to charge over twenty dollars a ticket, and even less people would go to the theater than they do now. Blame your $8 popcorn on Brad Pitt's 20 million pricetag and the idiots that pay him.

Oh trust me I'm well aware! :) I've read all about it and how that's the only way theaters make a profit and I've always personally thought so much of our income payment system is way out of whack. Seems the hardest workers get paid the least and the cushiest jobs get paid the most. CEO salaries and contracts, don't even get me started.

Rev.

That is ****ed up! And people buy that crap! The margin is like Macdonald French fries, 2000 % times 20 the margin!

Most of the time, not including club levels and other special access areas, they are the only two beers on tap. So yes, people pay.

Just because they have them on the menu doesn't mean that they have them all in stock.

Prices for alcohol in the Nordic countries are all high due to social politics - the higher the latitude, the more that people like to abuse alcohol.

Also, real luxuries are not really allowed in Finland because this country is ruled by social politics, so they have to come up with some way to make the bourgeoisie class feel important. Gross overcharging for something simple is a great way to achieve that.

Additionally, breweries would rather see their beer get a name in the world than ship them to hicksville, USA.

Finally, if you are not a Finn, doesn't matter what kind of business you start here - nobody is going to buy from you. That's the hard truth.

1. Just because they have them on the menu doesn't mean that they have them all in stock.

2. Prices for alcohol in the Nordic countries are all high due to social politics - the higher the latitude, the more that people like to abuse alcohol.

3. Also, real luxuries are not really allowed in Finland because this country is ruled by social politics, so they have to come up with some way to make the bourgeoisie class feel important. Gross overcharging for something simple is a great way to achieve that.

4. Additionally, breweries would rather see their beer get a name in the world than ship them to hicksville, USA.

5. Finally, if you are not a Finn, doesn't matter what kind of business you start here - nobody is going to buy from you. That's the hard truth.

(Numbered your text for easier answering)

1. Very true. It's like that everywhere. I sometimes have a hard time finding beer made in the same city where I live!

2. I would too when it's freezing outside for 11 months a year.

3. I think it's more a supply/demand thing... especially at that latitude.

4. Hicksville? Aren't Finns nothing more than Swedish hillbillies? I don't know. I'm asking...

5. Nope. Open up a Death Metal music store and sell cheap beer. Profit!

:ban:

2. I would too when it's freezing outside for 11 months a year.

3. I think it's more a supply/demand thing... especially at that latitude.

4. Hicksville? Aren't Finns nothing more than Swedish hillbillies? I don't know. I'm asking...

5. Nope. Open up a Death Metal music store and sell cheap beer. Profit!

:ban:

2. It's currently 46 degrees F here in Helsinki. Not predicted to be freezing during the next 15 day forecast. It's the darkness that usually get's people drinking.

3. True, the average Finn couldn't give a rat's ass about USA beer. But the bourgeoisie class, different story.

4. The Helsinki-Vantaa-Espoo metropolitan area is a very international place. The average Finn travels outside the country 2-3 times a year, many far more than that. The average USA person doesn't even have a passport ;-)

5. Getting a license to sell beer involves a fair amount of politics and the staff need to each individually have alcohol serving licenses, which requires passing a several week long course. Finally, selling alcohol cheaply is prohibited by law.

4. The Helsinki-Vantaa-Espoo metropolitan area is a very international place. The average Finn travels outside the country 2-3 times a year, many of them far more than that. The average USA person doesn't even have a passport ;-)

If we lived in Finland, we'd want to get the hell out, too. In the contiguous US, we have sunny beaches on all shores, we have mountains, we have skiing, we have deserts, we have plains... we really have everything but the jungle, and except for the different plants & animals, the South mid-Summer is plenty hot & humid. We don't need to go anywhere. We aren't running from anything.

poke2.gif
devil.gif

If we lived in Finland, we'd want to get the hell out, too. In the contiguous US, we have sunny beaches on all shores, we have mountains, we have skiing, we have deserts, we have plains... we really have everything but the jungle, and except for the different plants & animals, the South mid-Summer is plenty hot & humid. We don't need to go anywhere. We aren't running from anything.

It's not enough to just read about Berlin, to surf google images for photos of Berlin... you've got to FEEL Berlin.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo2XhfrFhsg[/ame]

$9 for 18-oz plastic bottles of Miller Lite at one local concert venue.

I'd rather be sober.

Latest posts

Back