Do you use your spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Henry Hill said:
My local micro sells them to a farmer.
I've heard that spent brewers grains are excellent fodder for most livestock. After seeing what mine look like I believe it.
I intend to compost my spent grains. A hot compost pile turned regularly should make short work of the grains in 1-2 months. The compost will be denser than the original grains so I think 10-12 lbs every week will produce 25-50 lbs of compost a month. Thats only a small bag from the garden center. My small lot could handle and love that amount of compost.
Craig

Here's what I found the other day:

You don't get too many small woodland creature in the suburbs...

I dump em outside my back deck by my garage, next to the timber. So far wildlife stays away from em.

Today, my German Shepherd ran through a pile of spent grain, and unleashed one of the nastiest smells I've experienced in at least 24 hours. :drunk:

Yeast Infection said:
what the hell is that.....its like my childish night mares have come true

That would be an Opossum, the only marsupial native to north america. Pretty common around here, but not usually in the suburbs...

I guess i've never really seen an Opossum...i dont know what to tell ya

but....that picture is the best reply to this post so far

Not sure about your suburbs but our neighborhood has its share of opossums, raccoons, skunks, deer, and other varmints. This is in an inner ring suburb of Cleveland. But the profusion of wildlife is the reason my compost pile is one of those plastic compost bins mostly resistant to intrusions.

The opossums are a shy nocturnal creature that is not seen alive that often but based on the road kill there is good evidence they are quite common. Skunks and raccoons are much more brazen and the suburban variety tend to almost ignore humans.
Craig

ok, you are pretty close to me (I live in Angels). If you have, or know of anyone with spent grains, can you send them my way? i have pigs that are in need???

sue

Back