Do you use "Brewers Gold" Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerSpeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lot of these hops about ready to pick and I have never used Brewers Gold...Do you guys like them? What would you compare them to? Thanks for the help

Hiya

Yes, I use them. I like them in lightly hopped ales as a bittering and late addition as they give a bit more of a twang than a cleaner bittering hop, for example, in barley wines and golden ales. In more heavily hopped ales I like them as late additions, where they give some good dark fruit and blackcurrant flavours (try a single hop pale ale). I've got mixed results when dry-hopping with them as they aren't the most pungent hops out there, but they definitively do have an American character to them. They would be ok in an IPA as part of a mix of hops, but wouldn't stand out to Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo or other modern more heavily flavoured hops. One of their positives is that they barely have any of that grapefruit / citrus flavour, so you can highlight more floral or dark fruit flavours using them.

Btw, I use the German grown ones, never tried or seen the US grown Brewer's Gold, but most comments online suggest that they are less aromatic.

I was hoping to use them in a wet hop brew but may not.. I have a lot of them and cascade. other varieties I have much less of are centennial, Chinook, Columbus, magnum, mt hood and nugget...now if I can decide on a hop combo for my wet hop ipa...or maybe a rye ipa

Ah, I think they'd be a good late addition still green. Mine are not ready to pick yet but I was planning on either a very hoppy bitter or an apa (well, both are pretty much the same thing) to use them up. If yours are ready to pick give them a go! I'd use something fairly neutral to bitter (magnum, dana, goldings, etc) and then use some late additions of dried hops, finished up with a big bang of fresh brewers' gold for steeping.

Back