Do you take Gravity Readings in the Bucket or from a Sample?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about six months now. I always pull a sample to take my gravity readings, OG, FG, and maybe one in between. I brewed with a friend the other day. He's been brewing for over 5 years, never had an issue and he took OG straight from the bucket. I suppose it makes sense, if I can sanitize whatever I pull a sample with, why not the hydrometer?

I hate wasting beer, so I want some of your feedback. Do you take gravity readings from a sample or straight in the bucket?

I only use bottling buckets. I draw a sample then drink it after the reading. You have to make sure its good too. You don't have to sanitize anything, less risk of infection.

I actually do both. If the surface of the beer is clear of any break material or hops, and I'm fermenting in a bucket, the hydrometer goes right in. If I'm fermenting in a carboy, I pull a sample with a thief. If I'm in a bucket, though, and need a sample (for "quality control" after hydrometer check) I just sanitize my pyrex measuring cup and pull out 8oz.

From sample.

1) I can pull a sample through the airlock hole, so no need to remove the lid, which is a pain.
2) Even for OG and FG, I want the lid off and things in my beer for as short a period of time as possible.
3) I want to taste it.
4) Hydrometer readings are hard enough in a sample tube. How the hell would you do it accurately in a bucket?

It's likely fine either way if it works and doesn't contaminate things. Sample seems better for my workflow.

OG from the brew kettle once it's cooled and before transferring to Primary. FG two weeks later when i transfer to secondary or if no secondary when I transfer to keg after three weeks. I always look forward to the FG sample cause I get my first taste!

I take the OG sample from what's left in the hoses after running through the plate chiller and into primary.
I take the FG via a thief from primary before I transfer to serving keg.
Neither sample goes into the rest of the batches. I also place the samples into 4 dram vials so that I can take a reading from them later, with a refractometer. I only 'lose' 1oz total in the process. :rockin:

I only use bottling buckets. I draw a sample then drink it after the reading. You have to make sure its good too. You don't have to sanitize anything, less risk of infection.

I thought about doing this too but was scared off from the possibility of the bottling spigot itself molding or otherwise harboring infections. Once you pull a sample, its inevitable that some beer will sit in the spigot, exposed to ambient conditions. Have you ever had any issues?

TAK said:
I thought about doing this too but was scared off from the possibility of the bottling spigot itself molding or otherwise harboring infections. Once you pull a sample, its inevitable that some beer will sit in the spigot, exposed to ambient conditions. Have you ever had any issues?

I guess that is a possibility but I clean it and sanitize before bottling. Never had any issues. I would be more worried about opening the lid.

Back