Do you sanatize your caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdenton

Reaction score
Hello,
I was watching a video on youtube and the guy was sanatizing his caps before bottling.

I have only brewed twice and didn't sanatize them either time.

was I supposed to?

Yes. You should sanitize anything that comes in contact with your beer. The bottling bucket, the racking cane, the tubing, the bottles, the caps, etc.

Generally, though, when you open a package of caps they are already clean and sanitary. So don't worry too much about it- just sanitize them from now on!

And welcome to HBT! :mug:

I just soak them with a little bit of Star San. I figure it's touching the beer so it better be sanitized.

I think if they came out of a bag they will be fine..but most will sanatize to be sure..all i know is they say dont heat or boil them..star san works best for me..

Jay

Thanks for the replies,
I will sanatize for now on.

Not sure how the beer is they are both green and one hasn't carbed all the way yet

discgolfin said:
I think if they came out of a bag they will be fine..but most will sanatize to be sure..all i know is they say dont heat or boil them..star san works best for me..

Jay

I always boil my caps. I thought this was the preferred method. Starsan would be easier though.

I put my caps in a bowl - boil the kettle and then i pour the hot water in the bowl on the caps about 1 hour before capping. Then when it is time for the caps to go on the bottles they are cool. This method has worked great for me - havent had any infected beer as of yet

Cheers

I usually have my caps sitting in a bowl of sanitizer, starsan, right next to me while I cap.

I always sanitize them, but I've been using bleach and rinse. Never had a problem. I also sanitize the capper even though in theory it never comes in contact with the beer.

I recently stocked up on some caps and the LHBS owner told me NOT to get the oxygen absorbent caps wet!! It destroys the caps ability to to pick up the oxygen and may not seal properly. Also do not boil caps as that destroys the seal. If you must sanitize boil the water and remove from heat then drop the caps in for a few minutes.

I just sanitize my hands and pull the caps out of the bag and cap. I have done this for the last 13 batches and have had NO problems.

When I sanatize my bottling bucket I dump the caps, A bowl and the capper into the solution . I drain the solution out through the spicket and take the capper out then I dump the caps into the Sanatized Bowl.

RICLARK said:
When I sanatize my bottling bucket I dump the caps, A bowl and the capper into the solution . I drain the solution out through the spicket and take the capper out then I dump the caps into the Sanatized Bowl.

And the capper? Is this neccessary?

wdenton said:
Hello,
was I supposed to?

I have always boiled, but after reading a thread about cap liner distortion after boiling I will go to a sterilant soak.

wdenton said:
Hello,
I was watching a video on youtube and the guy was sanatizing his caps before bottling.

was I supposed to?

I do sanitize my caps. I figure that sanitation procedures are probably the most important in the brew process.

ie:
*Change all your tubing once in awhile.
*Use your bottling bucket for beer only, not as a repository for anything else.
*Have a bucket used for sanitizing all equipment. Only use that bucket for that purpose.
*Grind your grain and store it far away from your fermentation room.

I never sanitized my caps, for about 10 batches or so. Then recently started sanitizing them. Never had a single issue, but decided better safe then sorry, no reason to ruin all that work for a stupid bottle cap which got contaminated.

I see quite a bit of people say they boil their caps, I have read many times on the bags not to boil them.

When I bottle, I fill a 9x13" baking dish with starsan solution. Then I soak my caps in it for a couple minutes, then pull them out and put them on a paper towel on the counter face down to drain.

Back