Do you put your test beer back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nalidixic

Reaction score
When I'm brewing beer I take some out with a thief and put it in a beaker to read my gravity.

Do you do the same? If so do you put that beer back in or dump it down the sink?

When making 1-gallon batches in the past, and after sterilizing everything that could possibly come into contact with the beer, I used to dump it back because of the scarce quantities.

Now that I'm doing 3 and 5 gallon batches, I just make sure to brew a little extra, and toss the testers down my gullet.

I use the fermtech thief, so I don't have to use a separate beaker. I just release the beer back into the fermenter. I've only done 4 batches so far, but haven't had a problem yet. I figure if my sanitation is good, there is no reason not to put it back.

Definitely dump it. Right into your mouth. The sample is as much to taste the middle step in the brewing process as to get a gravity reading. It's like licking the spoon from the cookie dough as you're throwing the cookies in the oven.

I don't often take an OG reading. I usually check the gravity after the partial mash, and calculate my FG with the added extracts/sugars. I generally only take an OG reading when I'm not too confident of my calculation.

When I do take an OG reading, I sanitize the hydrometer and jar, and toss the sample back in. Just treat it like anything else that comes in contact with the beer. Never had a problem. I've tasted it in the past and hate the taste of unfermented wort.

I know it is only 5 ozs, and by my calculations, only costs about 15 cents, but it just seems to be a waste to dump it.

Now when I check gravity after fermentation, I always drink the sample.

I drink the samples. Then it isn't a waste. Good to see how the flavor changes too.

With my first brew I put them back, no issues with infections. And this batch I tasted them

Drink the hydro samples. Tastes good, doesn't get wasted, doesn't get dumped to cause any issues, and you get the ability to taste your beer as it goes through it's course.

I use the fermtech thief, so I don't have to use a separate beaker. I just release the beer back into the fermenter. I've only done 4 batches so far, but haven't had a problem yet. I figure if my sanitation is good, there is no reason not to put it back.

+1

I also don't know that tasting the beer along the way is a great indicator of final product. Temperature and carbonation really change your perception of things, so don't get worried if samples aren't absolutely tasty.

I drink all of it, no need to waste any!

+1 on tennesseean 87's above post, the beer changes so much during conditioning that it usually doesnt taste much like your original sample at all. I still do it though, just because I like to.

I almost bought that fermtech thief today at the lhbs, ended up waiting till next visit after spending $$ on restocking some mandatory supplies.. Looks like it would make things alot easier.

Use it to prime your bottles. Boil it with the proper amount of sugar and you added flavor back into your beer instead of water. I drink some of it but most of it goes for priming.

Back