Do you like my Galaxy IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plankbr

Reaction score
Title: Galaxy IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.25 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.056
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.069
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.81%
IBU (tinseth): 66.60
SRM (morey): 9.31

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
12 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Galena Type: Pellet, Use: Boil for 60 min,
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil for 15 min,
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:
US-05
Starter: No

I don't know, send me a bottle and I'll try it :D
In all seriousness I want to see others comments as I have 200g of Galaxy for what potentially will be a 15 litre batch! If this turns out well for you it will be a good start for me (might just up the batch to 30 litres).
Good luck.
Also why have you got 2x 1oz additions at 15 minutes?

from what i understand galaxy is very close to citra. if that's true then i think this will work well. i would also try this with the base malt split half two row, half pils. the lighter malt lets citra poke through a bit more.

I'm drinking a galaxy pale ale right now. I usually do this recipe with Amarillo, but I couldn't get any. Not nearly as good, but not too bad either. it's definitely a milder hop. I'll probably bump it up a bit if I do another batch.

Your hop additions are pretty close to mine. I used Magnum as a bittering hop. You grain bill is similar too. I went with 3:1Pale malt and Vienna with some Munich and Crystal.

Do you think 2 oz is too much for the 15 min addition or should i just save an oz and dry hop with 2?

I don't know, send me a bottle and I'll try it :D
In all seriousness I want to see others comments as I have 200g of Galaxy for what potentially will be a 15 litre batch! If this turns out well for you it will be a good start for me (might just up the batch to 30 litres).
Good luck.
Also why have you got 2x 1oz additions at 15 minutes?

that's what i was thinking. hope you brewed a huge batch of it to share with everyone!!

Like Indi, I'd bump the late/dry hops some. Galaxy is a very fruity hop that for me needs to be the star.

I make a Galaxy APA but bitter it with Columbus to about 25 IBU and do a 45 min hop stand with an oz., dry hop with 2 oz. But this is in a O.G. 1.050 beer with an IPA you'll have the room for more hops. Try some Centennial in the mid boil this hop is a real good team player. I think it, like Citra, is such a distinctive hop it benefits from any of the northwest hops as background players.

Tom

i hate your beer, because i can't taste it!

personally, i'd invert 15 and flameout quantities: 1 oz at 15, 2 at flameout (actually, i never add anything less than 10 minutes, and i like to distribute... so i'd do an ounce each at 10, 5 and FO. but that's just me).

and +1 for 3 oz dry hop.

i hate your beer, because i can't taste it!

personally, i'd invert 15 and flameout quantities: 1 oz at 15, 2 at flameout (actually, i never add anything less than 10 minutes, and i like to distribute... so i'd do an ounce each at 10, 5 and FO. but that's just me).

and +1 for 3 oz dry hop.

Come to Cincy after Christmas. I'll save you some. You need to bring some Heavy Seas.

SWMBO was born in cincy. they do make cuties over there.

bit a drive, even for a nice galaxy homebrew. i guess i'll just stay here and cry into my Loose Cannon...

Does that have something to do with New Zealand? Lol sorry i don't get the reference.

Yeah, Australian New Zealand Army Corps - Fought together during WW1, ANZAC day is our national day of remeberance.
Sometimes it is used for other Australia and NZ things too.

Ok. So modified a bit:
HOPS:
1 oz - Galena Type: Pellet, Use: Boil for 60 min,
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil for 15 min,
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

IBU: 95.73

Thoughts?

Everything looks great. Personally, I would just hold the flameout addition until you got your wort down to 180F. Whirlpool/steep for at least 30 min. I've been getting some amazing aroma and flavor from this technique. It's worth the extra time.

Just did a double IPA where I had to use up a ton of old hops and throw them in kitchen sink style. Used about 1 and 1/2 lbs of leaf hops. Mostly late, and whirlpooled for 60 min. Addiotionally, dry hopped twice with 6 oz each time. Never used so many hops before. It's got about another week to carb up in the keezer before I have a taste. This will either be awesome or 5 gallons of undrinkable hop juice!

6.81% ABV? Not quite a session beer, but hey, I'm not complaining. Grain bill looks tasty. :D

IMO Galaxy works best when dry hopped - I've had more than a few Galaxy SMaSH beers lately that I haven't really cared much for. I guess if you're still wanting to go full Galaxy then go for it, but I do recommend a "blender" hop as I think it rounds out the flavor a little better.

Not necessarily trying to clone, per say, but I've had Schlafly's TIPA and it was simply fantastic. It just got my wheels spinning to try out this recipe.

So I now have 8 oz. of Galaxy to use with this IPA. Any final suggestions for a hop schedule (including dry-hopping)??? Is 8 oz. too much?

I brew with Galaxy quite often.

0.5oz Galena @ 60
0.75oz Galaxy @10
1.00oz Galaxy @5
1.25oz Galaxy @0

Dry hop with at least 2oz of galaxy.

Back