Do you filter/gelatin every beer style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
I've been curious about this lately.

I tossed my usual amount of gelatin into a saison I made a while ago, and sure enough after about a week in the keg, it was running crystal clear.

Unfortunately it seems that all of the saison goodness left with the yeast. The beer was crystal clear and tasted like a high ABV pilsner.

Do you guys NOT fine/filter certain styles?

I personally never filter ANY style. I let the normal aging process clear the beer out. However if I were to filter, the last styles I would do that are beers that get a portion of flavor from the yeast.

Those include as you have found out, Belgians. I would also put Heffs in that category as well.

I have never filtered or gelatinized a beer. I suppose if I pushed beers more, I'd probably get cloudier, but just a little whirlfloc in the boil and time seem to do the trick for me. Here is an IPA I've had on tap for about 2 weeks. It was in primary for 3, then dry-hopped for 10 days with 2 ounces of citra and an ounce of cascade. It seems pretty clear to me. That's a Leinie's orignal dice cup behind the glass.

clarity1.jpg

EDIT Just wanted to add, I'm not bashing by any means filtering or gelatin. I've just never really found the need for it, the way I brew. I'm assuming it's because of the dry-hop, but this just happened to be the beer I'm drinking now and it's actually the cloudiest of the 3 I have on tap. I just tend to produce clearish beer without trying too hard to do it.

I have gelatined two beers and it does make a good difference but honestly time, finings in the boil and cold crashing seem to do the trick every time. If I was to make a yeast-centric beer I probably wouldn't even use boil finings.

- ISM NRP

Back