Do you ever enjoy cheap beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lion's Head all the way, $13 for a case and its not too bad. And the puzzles under the cap are fun!!!:ban:

gotta say, in the recent 100 degree heat, i've been drinking the crap outta corona and lime. and i ain't afraid to admit it! might go have one right now :mug:

Cheap may be a relative term but the beer I beer I keep in the fridge for casual drinking is a mixture of Shiner Bock and Blonde, a variety of Sam Adams brews and either Widmer or Pyramid Hefe's. They seem to be easy to get at my local grocery.

The last time I drank a Bud (about 4 years ago and only had two at a hockey game), I got really sick. As far as I'm concerned, if it has corn or rice or anything other than wheat or barley, it's not beer.

The only mass-market beer I can drink is Sam Adams, and even that can be absurdly expensive sometimes. Thankfully I have a local micro (Carolina Brewing Company) that makes good beer which is usually among the least expensive craft/micro beers on the shelf at $6.99 a sixer.

I'd say that 90% of the beer I drink is my own.

Old Style and Hamm's were my grandpa's brands; starting when I was 8 or 9, he'd say to me "go grab grandpa another beer from behind the bar", I'd bring him a can and he'd say "open it for grandpa" and I'd pop the top and pull the tab off, then sometimes he'd say "take a sip!" So I'd take a swig and make a face because it was so bitter and fizzy, then I'd go to take another taste and he'd say "that's enough, give it here". So I acquired the taste at a young age, though I never thought or dared to sneak a beer for myself. Years later when I was in middle school my friends down the street snagged a budweiser from their dad's fridge so we rode our bikes to the woods to pass it around; they both took a swig, cringed, then went to dump out the rest. I said "gimme that!" and downed the rest. What a bunch of girls.

I still enjoy an Old Style now and then, it reminds me so much of my grandpa. I mean, if it's good enough for granddad, it's good enough for me. I also like Schlitz, Stroh's, Pabst, and others my dad used to drink, and I'll pick up Coor's banquet beer from time to time. I'm into craft beers but I'm no beer snob, well except when it comes to budweiser and miller lite. Hypocritical perhaps, but that's just me.

Last edited:
And they don't own a brewery, all contract brewed. It makes sense as a business decision.

And Ballentine is just sad. Making an IPA until 1971-2 when they went under. If they could have hung around 10-15 years maybe they could have got back into the nations top 5 brewers as they were in the 40's early 50's

A couple years ago I emailed PBR everyday for like a year trying to get them to redistribute Ballentine xxx ale in cans again. I grew upon a boat with them green canned hop bombs. Unfortunately after countless emails, I was informed that they will no longer distribute in cans. Now I'm left with cardboardy green bottled abominations of it.

I enjoy all beer be it expensive or cheap. I feel that no beer is good or bad, just different.

Ballentine XXX isn't a cheap beer, its about $9 a six pack?
Some beer distributors around here sell "out of date beer" cheap. The cheapest was a case of 10 Barrel Brewery "Pub Beer' for $7.50/case. I picked up a few cases and usually drink it as a 50/50 mix with home made cider.
They sometimes have 18 packs of Rolling Rock on sale cheap and I'll get some, again usually using it as a mixer with cider.
I had a Labatt's blue the other night at a pub, first time in 25+ years, and I won't be drinking any more of that any time soon. I can remember drinking lots of Labatt's in my early drinking days, and thought it was pretty good, but I suppose my tastes have changed,
but its more likely the beer has changed as well.
If a bar doesn't have anything I like, I'll drink PBR.
Here's an article on the worst and best "cheap beers";
Best: 1. Naragansett Lager
2. Rolling Rock
3. PBR
The Worst: Natural Ice
https://vinepair.com/articles/11-cheap-american-beers-ranked-from-awful-to-drinabkle/

Last edited:
One of the local supermarkets stocks a lot of no-name German beer in half liter cans and it's always on sale. I'm convinced that Feldschlosschen Kellerbier will always be 1.9 RMB a can there (about 30 cents) because the sale price has held for over half a year now. It's not the world's best Kellerbier, but it's hard to beat at that price...

I'm not too proud for cheap adjunct lagers either. They're great ice cold on a hot day with hotpot or street food, or all day on the beach in Thailand or Vietnam. Would I prefer craft in those situations? Sure, but when the good stuff's nowhere to be had, the cheap stuff still goes down a treat in the right time and place.

And yes, I know this is a necro thread. My philosophy is if it's dredged up, it's fair game.

Last edited:
One of the local supermarkets stocks a lot of no-name German beer (about 30 cents)
I know this is a necro thread. My philosophy is if it's dredged up, it's fair game.
Wow that's really cheap, I just don't see how they can haul that all the way from Europe to China and sell it for that.
Techinically, if the thread hasn't been closed by the Admins, its not dead, someone will dredge these subjects up again 1,000 years from now and they'll be more comments....
:mug:

Can't explain it, but I still almost always have some PBR around, and I like it once in a while.

Let me explain that in high school my favorite beer was Deschutes Black Butte Porter (back when they were a Micro), and in the 13 odd years since, my personal quest has been to find/make the bitterest, most aromatic, full-bodied IPA possible.

I have been drinking great beer for a long time, I just like the crap too sometimes.

Anyone else?
Cheap or Inexpensive?
I guess if I had to choose an inexpensive beer itd be either Yuengling or Rolling Rock .
I've tried the beer that Aldi sells . The stuff that the labels appear to be knockoffs of name brand beers. It usually tastes like its been consumed once already. I wont do it again.

Hell yeah, cheap beer has its place. I especially like PBR, Coors original, and High Life. MGD, on the other hand, always gives me a horrendous headache, even if I've only had one.
lol, yes, I get the same results from any of the Miller products, headache. Bud gives me stomach cramps. Coor's, no thanks. If I go to a restaurant and those are my choices, I'll just get a sweet tea instead.

I drink my Labatt Blue than any other beer (I play on 4 hockey teams, give me a break). It's a good summer beer, and a great tailgate beer.

They have a new variant, Labatt Citra. Give it a go. Labatt Blue dry hopped with Mosaic and Citra. I like it better than All Day. Same small beer thirst quencher, only $20 for the case.

These are my cheap beers of choice.

National Bohemian is 6.97 + tax for a 12 pack. It’s a bit sweeter than PBR but less sweet than High Life. Molson Canadian is 12.00 + tax for 12. Very light, dry and clean. Some of my pals drink Hamm’s so I have one occasionally.

I enjoy PBR when I go fishing with my uncle. I don't know why it just tastes better out on the ocean. Then I enjoy the IPA he breaks out when we get back to harbor.

I'll admit it I enjoy these once or twice a month
Fosters_Case_Study-02.jpg

Milwaukee's Best for me...(i thought i already posted in this thread, but apparently not)

Last time i had it though, was probably 4 years ago...the neighbor bought me a twelver for some pier blocks, i laughed and said i'll split it with you....so once a month i'd bring a couple cans to split with him...6 months later he said "i'm surprised you still have it!"...i just chuckled, and thought to myself, you know it's easy to make your own....

Around here I can buy Hamm's in six-packs of 16s for $4.99. That makes a case 20 bucks. That's 3 or 4 dollars less than a 30-pack of Bud Light and contains the equivalent of 2 more 12oz beers. Hamm's is not only cheap but it's an order of magnitude more beer-like than the name brand light beers.

For me the answer is no. When i first turned 21 i tried a few and didn't like the taste. About 7 months later I had a Becks Dark at an Oktoberfest, hey, this was 1991 so there weren't alot of choices. Then i discovered other local dark ales and i was off to the races. Tried some cheap beers since then and i can't stomach any of it. This was the main reason I got into homebrewing. I could make styles that werent available to me. Trying to find something as simple as an IPA or a porter anywhere was tough back then!

Around here I can buy Hamm's in six-packs of 16s for $4.99. That makes a case 20 bucks. That's 3 or 4 dollars less than a 30-pack of Bud Light and contains the equivalent of 2 more 12oz beers. Hamm's is not only cheap but it's an order of magnitude more beer-like than the name brand light beers.

20 bucks for a case? damn, that's why i like homebrew so much....costs me 92 cents for the equivalent alcohol of a case, or an 8% twelve pack.....(and yes i know i've said it before, and i'll say it again too :D)

and the reason i bring it up, 20 bucks for 24 4.4% beers is NOT cheap beer......

I always have Coors Orig running around, but rolling rock or high life... mmmmmm. I had a $100 bounty on a case of Rainer for the longest time here in SoCal. Use to do dollar Rainer nights at the Gold Bar in Helena. none of my friends could come up with a case. good stuff to pair with some fond memories.

I'll always have a soft spot for Stroh's. My grandmother drank nothing but Stroh's and it's the first beer I ever remember tasting. I occasionally will give myself a nostalgia and buy some old style too. And once a year I buy bud light for my annual college alumni golf scramble (can't bear to pay the course prices.)

Honestly, I have to say "No" to the question. Going into my fifteenth year of home brewing what I like I have utterly spoiled myself at this point, and I simply don't do "cheap".

Most recent testimonial: the Spousal Unit and I do two weeks every year around Easter on one of four Bahamas "Out Islands" where "beer" consists of Kalik (aka "Bahamas Budweiser"), Sands, Corona, and perhaps Guinness Export. That's pretty much it. One afternoon for some reason I can't remember now I pulled a Corona left by previous guests out of the fridge...and could not finish half of it.

fwiw, my idea of a lawnmower beer is a nice kolsch...

Cheers!

I like PBR too. I almost always have lite BMC in the fridge for guests that don't want homebrew. There aren't many, but there are a few.

I still like a Mickey's Big Mouth every now and then. That's some pure green awesomeness right there!
don't know why but the skunkiness of the green bottle mickeys brings me back to the teenage years. I will pick up a 40oz once in a while to bring ice fishing same with Heineken. but of course for good beer I had Michelob and a select sam adams.

for cheap beer. the daily drinker is PBR, Old Mil, Schlitz once in a while hamms. I don't care for bud or coors or busch but if its free and is hot outside and the beer is cold I wont turn it down.

Not since living in Germany for over five years....I mean, I've drank more than my share of cheap beer, but to say I "enjoy" them would be stretching the truth more than a bit. (and yes, I still remember my first pint of Guinness, my first English bitter, my first Licher Pils, my first Alt.....)

Sure it is. It just isn't prison hooch. To each his own.

i don't think many prisoners have access to whole barley, just juice....

edit: and i make cheaper beer then, 'great value apple juice' would make me.....(i can do that with store bought malt even)

Last edited:
Not since living in Germany for over five years....I mean, I've drank more than my share of cheap beer, but to say I "enjoy" them would be stretching the truth more than a bit. (and yes, I still remember my first pint of Guinness, my first English bitter, my first Licher Pils, my first Alt.....)
currently in my area for decent "craft" beer it is all IPA or a blonde ale at about 6%+ there are session ipas but they are terrible. if I want to drink 3-5 beers in a night without a problem I will drink a cheap beer. I have brewed a delicious 4% beer that is 200% better than major breweries but am unable to have time for a consistent daily consumption

I always have Coors Orig running around, but rolling rock or high life... mmmmmm. I had a $100 bounty on a case of Rainer for the longest time here in SoCal. Use to do dollar Rainer nights at the Gold Bar in Helena. none of my friends could come up with a case. good stuff to pair with some fond memories.
Have you ever watched "Longmire" on Netflix?

I'll always have a soft spot for Stroh's. My grandmother drank nothing but Stroh's and it's the first beer I ever remember tasting. I occasionally will give myself a nostalgia and buy some old style too. And once a year I buy bud light for my annual college alumni golf scramble (can't bear to pay the course prices.)
that was my first beer. I turned 20 actually and my sister bought me a 6er of Stroh's. I haven't seen it in years.

No, honestly I pretty much only buy 4 packs anymore. Except on Tuesdays when I drink Bud Light or whatever with the softball team. If it's not something like that my buddies don't drink it. I am now looking for other options things like Stella. I have kept a sankey keg of commercial beer on tap in the past and I am coming around on Light beers. At least light beer serve a purpose. They can be cold and refreshing on a hot day, they are low in calories, and you can drink a bunch of them without getting too wasted. So at least they have a purpose.

The other day This guy was in the liquor store buying the most expensive beers. Sours that cost $20 on and on. And we started talking about beer in other things. It turns out he drinks Miller high life all the time to afford his cellar which he cracks into I am guessing once a week.

Genesee cream ale is my favorite cheep beer. buck fifty for a 24 oz can. Lone star and PBR are a close second

Been drinking a lot of Bitburger Pils lately for $6/4pk of tallboys from Trader Joe's.

I keep meaning to try Henry Weinhard's since it's local, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I like Hamm's, Shiner Bock, and Pacifico.

Nope. I live in Australia - there's no such thing as cheap beer (exorbitant alcohol/excise tax on beer). Six packs start at about 16AUD (10USD).

Back