Do you cut the keg tube shorter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tripp

Reaction score
I read somewhere to cut the outlet corny keg tube a little shorter with a hack saw. This way it is not always picking up the settled yeast. Thoughts?

Some do and some don't. There are pros and cons for each way. It's been discussed to death.

_

Do you cut the keg tube shorter?

I don't, but to each his own. Only the first half pint from each keg is yeasty for me, and then it's clear sailing. When I ferment in cornies I bend the dip tube up slightly. This gives the same effect as cutting but is easily adjusted and/or reversed.

I don't either. Careful racking, and blowing off the bit of sediment in the first sample draw is all it takes.

Now, if you regularly transport kegs to parties, I can see some merit in trimming the dip tube a half inch or so on the 'travel keg'.

I don't and I generally cold crash before kegging so I don't have a lot of yeast left anyway.

Back