Do yeast fly well?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
My mother is coming to visit me and I want to use the chance to have her smuggle some yeast in for me. I'm looking at some different kinds online and I'm wondering if they will fly well or if it's too risky for their health? Also, would a smack pack be a no go?

Would dry yeast be OK in carry on baggage? I suppose there are many questions about this, but what I really want to know, is there anyway to pull it off?

This will also be a big help for me when I travel to the states and want to do my own smuggling.

Thanks!:mug:

My mother is coming to visit me and I want to use the chance to have her smuggle some yeast in for me. I'm looking at some different kinds online and I'm wondering if they will fly well or if it's too risky for their health? Also, would a smack pack be a no go?

Would dry yeast be OK in carry on baggage? I suppose there are many questions about this, but what I really want to know, is there anyway to pull it off?

This will also be a big help for me when I travel to the states and want to do my own smuggling.
Thanks!:mug:

It would be just that^

Carrying flora and fauna across country boundies is illegal as far as I know.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml

Well that might not be a good idea come to think of it, at least for liquid yeast on long flights. I assume luggage holds are not heated so it would probably be near freezing down there, definitely not a good idea for liquid yeast possibly. Maybe if she insulated a small box with styro foam and stuck it in here luggage.

I don't think dry would be an issue. But suddenly the more I considered it, liquid might be a sticky issue.

If she is coming from the states, liquid is going to be a no-no on carry on, though packets of dry in luggage should be okay.

Hmmm wish I had a better answer.

The thing is, even if she did bring you some liguid (and I think white labs tubes would be easier) and they did get a little damaged, if you made a starter, you would reproduce any of the surviving cells....

SO go for it. Just have he either make a little box with styrofoam in it to hold them, or wrap each tube in wool socks, and see what happens.

They are clearly labeled. And I remember 1 brewer moving and transporting all his liquid yeast on the plane. But I think that was before airplane shoe bombers when you could still bring liquid on a plane.

I'm thinking of making a stab at it. I really want some Scottish Ale yeast to fire off a batch in January and I can't get it here.

I can get some good yeast here, but not much of a variety and definitely no Scottish Ale.

I would imagine dry yeast can be carried on, but will 24+ hours at cabin temp be bad for it?

Just ask someone to ship you a bottle of beer with the type of yeast you want, and culture the starter from the bottle. Why do you need to smuggle anything? And you can drink the beer when making the starter. Sounds like a Win Win to me. Most of the brewers here wouldn't mind sending a bottle. Or have you mother pick up a couple of bottles of home brew and take it to you.

Just ask someone to ship you a bottle of beer with the type of yeast you want, and culture the starter from the bottle. Why do you need to smuggle anything? And you can drink the beer when making the starter. Sounds like a Win Win to me. Most of the brewers here wouldn't mind sending a bottle. Or have you mother pick up a couple of bottles of home brew and take it to you.

That;s a lot more risky and there's more of a chance that it would be siezed by customs....it's pretty much illegal to ship beer in the Us. And I've had folks try to send be wine from Australia to the US that was siezed. He actually want to GET the stuff. So that's too much of a gamble.

There is nothing illegal about carrying yeast on an airplane. His mom doesn't really have to "smuggle" it like contraband. She just needs to protect it from the elements. There's no issues about it, especially if it was simply in here luggage, as long as it was in the hold.

haha, I should clarify something:

Smuggle was the over dramatized version of import.

So, henceforth, it is importing, as I'm sure yeast is not illegal to bring to Japan.

So really the sum of it all is:

*Dry yeast on carry on luggage should be fine.

*Liquid yeast in the hull of the plane could be a bit of a gamble, but worth a try.

What about smack packs? Would air pressure cause them to smack themselves and start?

Print your own lables.
Shampoo
Conditioner
face scrub

Put the vials in a 1 qt ziplock bag and carry them on. Put them through the xray instead of your regular stuff. If anyone tries to give you grief, tell them to throw them out. You can buy new shampoo where you're going.

Take it from someone who flies a lot. As long as the liquid doesn't show up as flammable on the xray screen, nobody is gonna care. BTW, jameson's goes through pretty well in a travel sized 'shampoo' container.
B

Tuesday the 2nd I am flying from San Diego to Seattle, staying overnight. Then the morning of the 4th flying directly to Kadena AFB, Okinawa. I already have a smack pack and 3 dry yeast packs. This week I am going to the LHBS and picking up several vials of yeast, I'll let you know how it goes with security and the airlines. Unfortunately I probably won't be brewing for a month or so once I get on Oki. All of my equipment is being shipped and we have to wait for a house to become available.

Chap, if you could post an update on that, it would be ubber awesome.

Best of luck to you on that

I just took a packet of dry yeast and threw it into the air.

No.

It didn't fly well.

I'll get back to you on liquid yeast...

What about smack packs? Would air pressure cause them to smack themselves and start?

I would be worried about smack packs and atmospheric pressure inside the luggage hold. I'd be worried that that the inner pouch or even the entire packet might burst, or expand. It could make for messy luggage, and I don't think squeezing out a bunch of socks into a starter vessel is a good idea. ;)

Though isn't that how they do it in prison for pruno?

I would be worried about smack packs and atmospheric pressure inside the luggage hold. I'd be worried that that the inner pouch or even the entire packet might burst, or expand. It could make for messy luggage, and I don't think squeezing out a bunch of socks into a starter vessel is a good idea. ;)

That's what I was worried about too. I've never used a smack pack before. How much liquid is in it? Is it at all possible to cut the liquid away from the yeast and keep just the yeast by itself? I have no problem pitching dry just so long as I can pitch the yeast I want.

As for dry yeast, I would like to stock up on it. I usually visit the states twice a year, so buying packets of yeast and letting them sit in the fridge for 6 months would be perfectly fine, no?

I just took a packet of dry yeast and threw it into the air.

No.

It didn't fly well.

I'll get back to you on liquid yeast...

It's probably due the the lag time between pitching them into the air and them getting to work. Did you make a starter to wake them up? If you did, you would see faster (and better) results. :D

I'm looking at some different kinds online and I'm wondering if they will fly well or if it's too risky for their health?

Yeast travel just fine but and this only you could know- how does customs in Japan treat yeast?

I have taking yeast to EU many times along with hops and this last trip took a few LBS of hot peppers to a guy in Belgium.

Carrying flora and fauna across country boundies is illegal as far as I know.
Maybe is the best I can say as the laws vary greatly from country to country.
see above.

Well that might not be a good idea come to think of it, at least for liquid yeast on long flights.
<snip>
But I think that was before airplane shoe bombers when you could still bring liquid on a plane.

No the luggage isn't freezing cold otherwise every batch of beer I bring back from EU would have bursted.

The show bomber had nothing to do with the ban on liquids.

I don't see an issue with it in the cabin or in the hold. It's not like my orders from California are shipped ground. There may be some legality issues

Ok I don't know Bout japan but bringing FRUIT into Europe from th USA (or other countries) is illegal! and it is the same from Europe to USA. Now yeast is different and it is japan...but last I checked japan had stricker import laws than USA or Europe.'

Will they catch you? Who knows? Is it illegal? Again who knows. But I would check japans customs page before trying to bring in something that is considered a living microorganism.

Now as far as plane ride putting it under, it gets COLDlike waaaay below subzero temps when at altitude wouldn't -4
Negative 40 f kill yeast? I know yeast is flown every day but I doubt it's just put on a 24 hours of sub zero temps....

Now as far as plane ride putting it under, it gets COLDlike waaaay below subzero temps when at altitude wouldn't -4
Negative 40 f kill yeast? I know yeast is flown every day but I doubt it's just put on a 24 hours of sub zero temps....

If it got that cold beer would freeze, sub zero temps will freeze most liquids asap. Oh lets not forget theres sometimes live animals down there too.

There is what is called conditioned and non conditioned holds. Conditioned is heated for certain things such as animals or other things that obviously can't be left to the falling temp. Now since people have brought pets on flights there is this misnomer that all luggage bays are heated...and there are actual (not myth) accounts of people trying to stow away in luggage compartments because of this (before9/11) and they were found dead due to exposure to extereme cold.

Putting yeast in a suitcase does not gaurenteee it will be put in a conditioned hold. But a puppy in a cage obviously will get that special heated spot.

There is what is called conditioned and non conditioned holds. Conditioned is heated for certain things such as animals or other things that obviously can't be left to the falling temp. Now since people have brought pets on flights there is this misnomer that all luggage bays are heated...and there are actual (not myth) accounts of people trying to stow away in luggage compartments because of this (before9/11) and they were found dead due to exposure to extereme cold.

Putting yeast in a suitcase does not gaurenteee it will be put in a conditioned hold. But a puppy in a cage obviously will get that special heated spot.

This is my understanding as well. My feeling is that there, with all the cost cutting measure and such that more often than not our luggage is probably in unconditioned holds. And we probably have little choice or control in the matter, that's why I suggested he prepare for the possibility of freezing/extreme cold by insulating the liquid yeast.

I have never heard of anyone taking anything on a flight....from beer to wine to whatever and reported it being damaged due to cold. No to mention that people regular check luggage with electronics and other sensitive items that the airlines say are OK to check. (Most airlines will not even 'limit liability' if the items are 'packed suitable for shipping.') I have a feeling that the luggage areas are heated, maybe not to conditions that are suitable for pets or even unprepared humans for a long flight, but above freezing.

Have you ever opened a bag after picking it up from baggage claim and have it be freezing cold? Obviously, it warms on the trip from the plane back to the terminal, but if it is getting that cold, your bag's contents would still be very cold.

Anyway, I think liquid yeast would be 100% OK in checked luggage (customs issues aside). I also think trying to 'sneak' the yeast in your carry on in shampoo bottles is a 100% bad idea.

I have never heard of anyone taking anything on a flight....from beer to wine to whatever and reported it being damaged due to cold. .

Thank you:mug:

As I'm going to customs the first thing we do is check the bottles, none repeat none are icey cold and the luggage is mostly bottles. This is after a 9hr flight going across Iceland,Greenland,Newfoundland and none have been ice cold.

Freezing isn't a problem, ever wonder how wyeast gets to EU? a boat...LOL

T

Freezing isn't a problem, ever wonder how wyeast gets to EU? a boat...LOL

No but in some form of an INSULATED Box perhaps?? I mean if they are shipped in the summer from the manufacturer or the distributor in styrofoam with ice packs (at least that's how it comes to my LHBS from his distributor) then one would think they would be protecting them from cooler temps as well. Wouldn't you think so?

That's all I've been saying all along. That the op should be proactive and make sure on the off chance that during his mom's flight it might be cold enough to harm the yeast in the luggage compartment. I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be FREEZING to harm the yeast it could still be in the high thirties or low forties at x thousand feet in one of those cargo hold.

kunstler's not the only one who has heard of folks dead in the luggage compartment of planes before.

Hmmm a little google action show me it just happened this year on a flight to TOKYO.

Dead Man Found in Airplane Landing Gear at Tokyo Airport; Stowaway... Or Murder?

TOKYO (CBS/AP) Japanese police are trying to identify a body found inside one of the landing gear compartments on a Delta Airlines flight that arrived in Tokyo from New York, and trying to figure out how he got there.

A mechanic found the body lying inside the landing gear compartment of the Boeing 777-200 during maintenance after Delta Flight 59 from New York landed at Narita on Sunday night, police official Zenjiro Watanabe said.....

Though in June someone survived stowing away...but that was a flight a flight to London.

So again I ask you what is wrong with thinking about an insulated package of some sort????

I've taken beer on flights, including transcontinental flights, and it's never frozen. Thousands of other people have the same experience. I've never heard of anyone having a different experience. The thermal mass of luggage compartment full of luggage is substantial.

Now if they put your suitcase in the landing gear compartment you might be screwed, but they probably aren't going to do that.

I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be FREEZING to harm the yeast it could still be in the high thirties or low forties at x thousand feet in one of those cargo hold.

What temperature do you store your yeast when you have it at home or how is it stored at the LHBS before you take it home?

(Hint: Optimum home refrigeration temperature is 37 to 41°F.)

identify a body found inside one of the landing gear compartments on a Delta Airlines

The landing gear compartment is different. They are most likely open to atmosphere and probably not heated.

Cargo holds are heated and pressurized, landing gear compartments are not.

So again I ask you what is wrong with thinking about an insulated package of some sort????

Because I have done this before,many times and the yeast and beer bottles all came thru just fine. How many times have You done this?

good grief, next you'll say the air pressure will ruin the yeast ( its approx>9000ft)

The biggest problem is customs in Japan.

Try again as your proof says LANDING gear:drunk:
----Quote:
Dead Man Found in Airplane Landing Gear at Tokyo Airport;
- lying inside the landing gear compartment

How fond are you of Mother?

A vial, or pouch, in a sealed, insulated, container is likely to arouse the suspicions of a baggage inspector at customs. Those, X-Ray are good but not that good.

Shipping can be a bastard of a thing. Most shipping rates to here are nuts....

But I'll check it out. Knowing shipping rates, I have this automatic knee jerk reaction to shipping stuff. I'm sure Fed-Ex handles their cargo better than most commercial airlines though.

Shipping can be a bastard of a thing. Most shipping rates to here are nuts....

But I'll check it out. Knowing shipping rates, I have this automatic knee jerk reaction to shipping stuff. I'm sure Fed-Ex handles their cargo better than most commercial airlines though.

I FedExed a 10# package to Beijing last week. $290. Plus, you have to deal with possible tariffs on contents.

<--- Aerospace Engineer

All cargo holds are pressurized with air from one of the engine's compressor stages (same air that is in the cabin where there's people). However, some cargo holds are heated and some aren't (as mentioned previously, depends on the type of cargo). Because the air is pressurized, it is going to be warmer than the outside air. Most likely it will be slightly above 0 celsius (however, it depends on the temperature conditions outside). Your yeast will most likely survive and will be fine.

Hope that answers your question.

*EDIT* Actually, my main concern would be if it's the middle of winter where the plane has landed/is taking off. If it's below freezing outside, it would get as cold as it is outside until the cabin is pressurized.

BorisLobb, wow! THANK YOU!

I think this solves a lot of problems, mainly the transportation of smack packs in the cargo hull (and vials if I should feel the urge to try those yeast).

So all I have to do is ensure that they have a bit of insurance policy for the few hour wait either landing or taking off...

So now, here's the final question: What can I put the yeast in/next to to give them a buffer against winter extremes? My mom is flying from Vermont to Chicago to Tokyo. Both Vermont and Chicago are notorious for their extreme cold temperatures.

...This way I also avoid paying $290 to ship...ouch...

And, are you really a aerospace engineer? Mega props on that one!

BorisLobb, wow! THANK YOU!

I think this solves a lot of problems, mainly the transportation of smack packs in the cargo hull (and vials if I should feel the urge to try those yeast).

So all I have to do is ensure that they have a bit of insurance policy for the few hour wait either landing or taking off...

So now, here's the final question: What can I put the yeast in/next to to give them a buffer against winter extremes? My mom is flying from Vermont to Chicago to Tokyo. Both Vermont and Chicago are notorious for their extreme cold temperatures.

...This way I also avoid paying $290 to ship...ouch...

And, are you really a aerospace engineer? Mega props on that one!

I say do nothing to protect them from cold. From what I am reading, all of the other people with experience flying with beer and yeast agree with me.

Back