Do various beers smell more/less during fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
Hi - This is my first post though I've been reading for the last week or so in preparation for my first brew. I have to admit to being thoroughly overwhelmed by the variety and enormity of information here. You guys are very generous with your time and expertise and us NooBs appreciate it!

My first batch will be what my local HB store calls a Belgian Tripel XXX - similar to a std Tripel but slightly less bitter. Might this have a stronger or milder aroma than the average brew? I will boil outside but primary (bucket) and secondary (glass carboy) will have to happen indoors. I guess I could bottle condition rather than do a second in the carboy which would decrease the amount of exposure-to-public-air-supply time. I guess - as I say I'm a little overwhelmed.

It's important that I not upset SWMBO but it's also important that my first batch is really good.

Thank you, all!
dMax

Patience is my only virtue so if there are techniques that require additional time I can handle it.

well, patience is a good virtue for any brewer, as good beer takes good time. welcome to the hobby. :mug:
to answer your question, i think the boil smells very nice, like cereal grains and maybe a bit fruity after adding hops. mainly i think warm grains smell like Grape-Nuts and boiling hops smell like fresh fruit or herbs.
fermentation can kick numerous and sometimes unpleasant aromas, but those tend to remain around the airlock and not take over a room. (although some yeasts can be down right funky during fermentation.)
hope that helps out. happy brewing! :mug:

Keeping yout brew indoors will not smell bad unless you place it next to the bed,

I would not recommend doing a Tripel for your first brew, It takes much longer to condition, and patience is something new brewers do not have for their first brew. Belgians can take months to reach their best flavor.Try another brew that will take less time, such as a pale ale or a wheat beer.. Brew something that you can drink soon and then make a beer that takes time.

Brew on.

Is there anything else "difficult" about Belgians other than time required? I don't want to give myself a more difficult task than I need to my first time around.

A tripel would be a pretty high gravity beer. You need to make sure to pitch the proper amount of yeast with a yeast starter to get good results. Not saying you can't do it, but you may want to go with a lower gravity beer for your first run.

Is there anything else "difficult" about Belgians other than time required? I don't want to give myself a more difficult task than I need to my first time around.

chickypad is right. Brewing a Belgian is just slightly more difficult. Pitching a good healthy amount of yeast, good aeration are required. But also good understanding of temp control for the yeast you are using is also important. That and A LOT of patience to give it time to fully ferment. It often takes a long time to get the last few points of attenuation. Then it can take a couple of months of bottle conditioning for the beer to reach its potential.

If you like Belgian beers, I would suggest getting a copy of Brew Like a Monk. It is a great book about Belgian beers and there is a ton of good info about brewing them in there.

For your first few beers I would suggest something a little easier and quicker. Once you have a pipeline going then go ahead and brew something that takes some time. You will want to drink your first brew as soon as possible and it will drive you crazy waiting for months to sample your brew.

I brew a lot of Belgians (my favorites) and I have extra fermenters so I can just leave them alone without messing up my pipeline.

Welcome to the Hobby/Addiction.

The smell of brewing got me kicked out of the house! Well, for brewing, anyway. I now use a turkey fryer on the deck. I think the smell of the mash is heavenly. The girls disagree.

I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed, for sure. My advice is to use this page for your first brew: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Brew Day . It has everything you need to know (to get started). I'm a noob with 12 brews, or so, under my belt, but I keep getting better and better. Don't try to incorporate every speck of advice here on your first attempt. You'll end up in a straight jacket.

Back