Do u think stone is a top 5 brewery in the U.S.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdependent

Reaction score
I have never had a stone brew that I liked and went back and tried the ruinination and it confirmed my belief that their beers are average at best. The bottle cap on the ruinination bothered me as did various interviews I saw with the head brewer. The bottle cap had some beer critic quoted as saying you would go def hearing the number of people in america saying stone as a top 5 brewery. The founder of stone acts like his **** don't stink which bothers me. Anyways I'm curious to hear what others think. I'll name some breweries that I'd put before stone but curious to see what others think...

Firestone walker
Ballast point
Founders
Bells
Terrapin
Evil twin
Oskar blue
Hill farmstead
Deschutes
Bells
Alesmith
Avery
Great Divide
Southern tier
Three floyds
The alchemist
Ithaca
Mercury (clown shoes)
Cambridge
Russian river
Hopping Frog
Victory
Troegs
Unita
Dogfish head
Green flash
Flying dog
Breckinridge
Bear republic
Spring house
Ommegang
Thirsty dog
North coast

And these are just some of the breweries I can name right now...

More often than not the beers I get here are skunked or oxidized. Probably more of a distributer/retailer issue. I remember having a really fresh ruination about 4 years ago that was awesome, and an amazing fresh ipa on tap about 2 years ago. Other than that it's been underwhelming.

I imagine their beers are pretty tasty in Southern California. But in Ohio they kinda suck. I blame ohio for that though.

Greg Koch did get real weird in the last few years. What's up with that gross beard and him going off on bizarre rants? I agree he seems pretty full of himself. Mitch Steele seems like a solid guy though.

Dolomieu said:
Total BS. Blame your bottle shop not our state.

It's not BS if 9/10 I buy stone in our state it's skunked or oxidized. I meant I don't blame stone as much as I blame the half dozen bottle shops, the distributors and grocery stores that sell it IN Ohio.

Yes, in the US, Stone is top 5.

But, I'm not one to defend my taste in beer or impose my ideas upon others.

I've been known to enjoy Hamms as much as Schenkerla.

Chimay as much as a Sam Adams.

Lost Abbey as much as a Killians.

Beer is almost entirely personal and contextual. As much as Ayn Rand would like you to think otherwise.

Now, let's talk technique.

I wouldn't put Stone in my top 25, but everyone's got their own tastes. My current top 5:

Green Man
Breckenridge
Southern Tier
Engine 15
Rogue

Top 5 all time:

New Belgium
Sierra Nevada
Anchor Steam
Sam Adams
Pete's

Mmmmhmmm mmmmhm good.

You are right about stone not even sniffing the top 5, but your list has some terrible breweries on it, Breckenridge and flying dog to name two glaring examples.

FWIW I love hoppy beers and WLP007 is my favorite yeast.

Probably not top 5 for me but I really ike the one's that I've tried.

passedpawn said:
OK, you're going to have to elaborate on that.

First, don't fall for the Objectivist-baiting. I have a kid named Dagny.

Second, there is no second, only first.

First, if quality is objective, what's the point of personal opinion? I say, go ask the guy working on his motorcycle.

Stone is definitely a top 5 brewery.

When I think about it, I have to consider how I feel when a certain brewery comes out with a new beer. If I see that Flying Dog or whatever other random brewery, has a new Pale Ale on the shelf - I couldn't possibly care less.

If Stone has a new beer on the shelf, I'm going to buy it no question. I only feel like that for certain breweries, and Stone is one of them for sure. The have a solid lineup and good history of producing great beers.

I used to live in North County San Diego (Carlsbad and Oceanside) - maybe 10-15minutes from Stone, so I'm biased - but I've also drank their beers fresh and know how great they are. My local store has Stone IPA that is generally a few months old, but it's still excellent at that age.

I've never gotten a bad beer made by Stone. For my taste Two Hearted is the only that beats a Stone IPA.

Followed by
Green Flash Palate Wrecker
DFH 60 Minute
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
Flying Dog Snake Dog
Acme West Coast Ipa

I'll take any of those all day or til I pass out😜

All the Mitch Steele interviews I've heard (the brewing network for instance) have been pretty solid....lots of info, funny. Loved his book, as well. I mean, the dude is giving you tons of killer recipes in there. Not to mention, they're pretty open to home brewers, with the exception of arrogant bastard. Their brewery facilities are amazing. Never had a bad beer there. Who else is doing something like the drink by series?

I gotta say, if your problem is the bottle cap = that's pretty weak. It's not like they're the only company ever to boast of their accolades.

And the beard (seriously? there's a problem with a beard?) it appears he's growing it for charity.

Got to throw my hat in, Stone is a top 5. Go to the brewery, sit on the patio on a cool summer evening, and enjoy something fresh off the tap. This question is answered immediately.

Top 5 for me would be impossible. So many choices as well as so many great breweries that I have not had enough of their offerings to accurately judge (I've only had 2 Russian River). Instead, I would just drop the number....in otherwords, what do you consider the top breweries in America? While still very subjective I think it is easier and less trivial. Furthermore, I would say keep it regional. There is only a small number of "great" breweries that distribute all their offerings nationally.

Here are some regional/local breweries I consider "top" American breweries:

Jack's Abby
Maine Brewing Co.
Southern Tier
Cambridge Brewing Company (CBC)
Hill Farmstead
Lawson's Finest
Troegs
Tired Hands

Again, I'm just listing breweries that I have access to nearly their entire line up and have consistently been high quality.

It's not BS if 9/10 I buy stone in our state it's skunked or oxidized. I meant I don't blame stone as much as I blame the half dozen bottle shops, the distributors and grocery stores that sell it IN Ohio.

Well that's sad. The stone we get in Columbus must be taken care of better as I have never had a bad one, due too Skunking. Guess you will have to try the party source in Newport Ky.

Well that's sad. The stone we get in Columbus must be taken care of better as I have never had a bad one, due too Skunking. Guess you will have to try the party source in Newport Ky.

Lucky for you columbus brewery makes far better hop forward beers.

I actually dig Greg's beard but just his nonsensical rants are annoying it's like he's trying to be hunter s Thompson (RIP)... Plus the fact that I haven't had a great beer from them. I'm
Not trying to hate rather just gather opinions.

Truth be told, if we could taste the best beer from EVERY EFFING BREWERY EVER Nothing we know of now would be top 5.

That said, the BEST beer I have ever tasted was stone. Vertical080808 is the most beautiful beer to have passed my lips.

Arrogant Bastard, Ruination, Stone IPA.....

It is hard to criticize them. What more could they do?

Total BS. Blame your bottle shop not our state.

Oh! No, I am afraid that EVERYTHING in OHIO sucks. Especially Universities and sports teams....and beer.

*watch, this will be funny*

Also forgot Sierra Nevada ( has anyone had the Norwall stout from them yet?) weyerbacher tired hands duck rabbit Nebraska clipper city ( heavy seas) and prolly still forgetting more

Stone is in my top 10, maybe not top 5 though. Number 1 is definitely New Glarus.

I have no where near enough brewery exposure to take a stand on this one; however, I have been to Stone brewery, and I can say 4 things about the place and their beer:

1. They love to make hoppy beers (which is not my favorite) and they are very good.
  2. Their Imperial Russian Stout is off the chain! Don't EVER pass one up. (I guess everyone now knows the beer styles toward which I lean) ;)
  3. The staff is really nice and generally entertaining.
  4. The setting, atmosphere, and architecture -- especially the bistro & gardens -- are worth the trip by itself.

I am a huge fan of Stone. The only regular release of theirs I don't like is Levitation and the only special release I haven't liked was the Bottleworks 13th Anniversary one. Everything else I've had I've either liked or loved. Solid brewery, nice people, and with the number of charity events they do every year they are obviously genuinely good people.

I'll add in that the Bistro is amazing, though I find the food menu to be a little pretentious and overpriced.

I don't think Greg is full of himself. We met him at a local beer bar. They had sanctioned him off in the back room and we were already hanging out back there. He was very humble and when I asked to take a pic with him, instead of finding someone to take it, he grabbed my phone and said pose! He's an old school metal head. I'll always respect that.

My wife and I also went to a dinner with Mitch Steele. While I have tremendous respect for him, he talked a lot about belgian beers and seemed to want to deviate from the hoppy- I am ot much of a belgian drinker so that didn't strike my fancy. Solid guys and both are very approachable people.

And Narwhal is fantastic.

I wouldn't put them in my top 5. I think, just like DFH, they get a lot of hype because how vocal he is in the community. Solid brewery no doubt, but top 5 I don't think so.

I'm amazed at the late hop character in a stone IPA that I buy in FL. Top 5? I can't make that statement. But Stone is certainly a leader in the hoppy beer category.

This. If you like hoppy beer, they're some of the hoppiest. Personally, I don't like my hops to beat me up in a back alley, so I don't usually drink it. But the boyfriend loves the stuff...

I actually really like Stone's smoked porter. Not what folks usually think of when they think "Stone". But quite yummy.

I wouldn't place any of their beers in my top 5 list but I think Stone Brewing Co is a model craft beer company.

- they make very good, consistent beer
- focus on local community with their Bistro/Gardens/Brewery and their numerous Company Store Satellites
- numerous events and drives etc for charities
- they host and organize tons of events that bring light and positive attention to craft beer and the San Diego craft beer scene
- Greg Koch has a big ego and can be obnoxious but he is a great CEO imo and has done good things for craft beer
(most of the "controversial" twitter and youtube "disputes" end up being PR stunts)

I found a picture of the cap the OP is talking about. It's a quote from an article about them in Beverage Business Magazine. They put a positive quote about them on some promotional materials, how dare they?

Sorry OP, you confirmed a bias, and merely AFFIRMED your previously held belief. Ever had an Enjoy By? One of the best IIPAs on the market. Maybe your local distributor/bottle shop sucks. And I'm not sure about the founder of stone, but I know the brewmaster is one of the most down to earth humble, and just plain cool dudes in the industry. Met him at Socal HB fest last year and he's so unassuming, I had shared an entire bomber with him before someone else told me who he was. Mitch Steele is awesome!

I do like many of the other breweries on your list though, so I don't think you have bad taste, just a bad bias for some reason.

I don't think Greg is full of himself. We met him at a local beer bar. They had sanctioned him off in the back room and we were already hanging out back there. He was very humble and when I asked to take a pic with him, instead of finding someone to take it, he grabbed my phone and said pose! He's an old school metal head. I'll always respect that.

My wife and I also went to a dinner with Mitch Steele. While I have tremendous respect for him, he talked a lot about belgian beers and seemed to want to deviate from the hoppy- I am ot much of a belgian drinker so that didn't strike my fancy. Solid guys and both are very approachable people.

And Narwhal is fantastic.

This.

Greg is a genuinely nice guy. I've "met" him at several Stone events. Last month, I saw him wandering around the Stone 13th Anniversary party, by himself (no entourage), just sipping a beer and enjoying the day. The few people who recognized him (he dresses like a homeless surfer) would be greeted with a smile and a warm welcome. He'd take a picture with anyone who asks.

The marketing of Stone beer, with a heavy emphasis on attitude (Arrogant Bastard, Fizzy Yellow Beer is for Wussies, Sublimely Self-Righteous etc. etc.) stands in stark contrast to the personality of Greg. I think that's what makes it work so well.

Stone is certainly in my Top 5.

Latest posts

Back