Do u have to make a starter if u use liquid yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heertsy

Reaction score
I was wondering this. I have always used dry yeast or the smack pack from NB. Was thinking about going with the best liquid yeast I can for my next batch. So can you just pour liquid yeast right into the wort or do u have to make a starter with it first?? Just curious.... Thanks!

You don't have to do a starter. You might want to do a starter if you are going to brew a high gravity beer. I always do it just to make sure the yeast is viable and vitalized. From there on I repitch it a couple of times, so the total cost goes down.
What are you brewing?

It's definately recommended for high gravity beers. I'd encourage it for any beer as it will help your fermentation take off sooner and avoid any potential worrying you might get if it takes 2-3 days for fermentation to start.

With a starter, you'll typically see results in under 12 hours.

Depends on the OG of youir beer. You can make fine beer without it, better beer if you pay attention to your pitching rate. It is essential as mentioned above for high gravity beers. Just curious what style are you brewing that you feel a liquid yeast would be best?

Starters are a good idea to get in the habit of making. They're a good way to cut back on your lag time, but also a good way to check your yeast viability.

I make a starter for all of my batches. Starters don't have to be HUGE, but it will help get your yeast going for when you pitch. I've seen it advised that starters are good for high gravity beers and that's true and actually essential, but you're talking the difference between a two cup starter for a normal batch and a gallon starter for a big beer. Gallon starters are also used for lagers.

If I'm brewing on the weekend, I'll smack on Tuesday and make a starter on Wednesday. My average starter is about 1/2 a gallon.

It will also allow you to save money and buy the Propegator packet instead of the activator packs. About a dollar cheaper per pack.

:mug:

always make a starter unless you absolutely cannot (brewing on the fly, sometimes there's no time...i understand ;))

i'm going to make a starter in a little bit for my irish red :)

Was going to brew up a russian stout for my next batch (I think), so it will be a high starting gravity.

So what might potentially happen if i brew a high gravity beer and DO NOT use a starter?? Might not have complete fermentation???

Thanks for all the help....

it might not complete it's fermentation or it could take a really, really long time or it COULD be fine, but i would never risk it. if you have the time, make a big, healthy starter.

making a starter is easy as hell...why wouldn't you?

Jamil's Yeast Calculator can help you determine what you need too:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

What I'd do is brew a dry stout, then pitch the yeast cake onto the RIS. This is probably the best way to ensure a complete fermentation, or you could pitch two 11g packets of dry yeast.

Back