Do I try to keep the temp at 155 the whole time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefBrew

Reaction score
While steeping my grains, is it necessary to adjust the temperature for the whole hour to keep an average of 155, which was the specified temp in the recipe?

P.S. Thanks for your patience and help!:mug:

I generally bring the temp to 155 then turn off the heat, steeping isn't as critical as mashing in my experience.

This is why I love this Forum, you get advice from all sides of opinion. Keep em' commin gents.... and ladies.

if I am doing an extract brew, I will put the steeping grains in the pot and turn the heat on high. Just take the grains out when the water hits 170. All that time in water heating up, works just fine. It is easy and it works.

Steeping does not depend on enzyme action, therefor, precise temperature control isn't required.

Yup, if you're just steeping and not mashing, throw it in when the pot is cold and take it out just before you hit 170F.

That is precisely the method I always used. I wonder if you're the one who gave me that bit of advice?

I used to use the method of putting grains in water and adding heat until the water throws off steam. Time/temp is not that crucial for steeping but I figure it's a good habit to get into that is crucial when doing proper mashes so why not start now.

I would also hold out about 2 gallons of your brew water, heat on your stove to about 150-160 and use that to rinse the grains after you pull them out of your brew pot. You will maxamize your extraction.
Good luck
JJ

Just to make sure we're giving you the right advice (steep at more or less 155, but don't go over 170, but you CAN put the grains in the bag into the water as it heats up to 170), what is your grain bill?

Back