Do I Pasteurize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubs731

Reaction score
Getting ready to start a batch of hard cider from cider I pressed myself. Do I pasteurize? If so, what's the process? Will there be a taste difference if I do as opposed to don't? Any info and/or tips are appreciated.

In a nut shell - Only if you want to. Pasteurization will kill off all bacteria and other nasty, however, it will also kill off all wild yeast ( this can be good or bad,) and will lead to a "cooked" taste. You can add chemicals to achieve the same results, but 'OOOoooo evil chemicals, look out...Scary....whooooo..'

Many people do wild ferments from unpasteurized juice and swear that it is the best cider ever. I tried it this year with a gallon and have what smells like is going to be a very nice cider vinegar. #grumpyface

Don't be afraid to ask questions even when they have been answered before. (Reading the sticky shared is good advice, it will be there for you to refer to as you go) The campden is a way to preserve flavor and is a lower amount of sulfite than is found in commercial wines. Sulfite is also a byproduct of fermentation and cannot be totally avoided. If you like your cider clear you'll also want to treat your juice with pectic enzyme.

It really depends on what you're trying to do. If you want residual sweetness or sparkling cider (or especially if you want sweet and sparkling), you probably need to bottle pasteurize (find the sticky). If you are making still cider, or even very dry sparking, you might not need to.

Don't be afraid to ask questions even when they have been answered before. The campden is a way to preserve flavor and is a lower amount of sulfite that is found in commercial wines. Sulfite is also a byproduct of fermentation and cannot be totally avoided. If you like your cider clear you'll also want to treat your juice with pectic enzyme.

I appreciate you saying to the OP that its ok to ask questions that have been asked before. Some folks like to read old posts and do archive research, while other folks like active discussions and real time interactions. Some would rather work together with an experienced brewer, while others may prefer to read books and learn that way.

Some time back I joined a distiller's forum as a novice and asked all the rookie questions only to be told to "look it up, this has been asked before". This happened several times and I simply quit with that forum as the members seemed smug if not hostile. Many if not most of the questions here on HBT have likely been asked and answered at some point, so with that being the case, why not simply close down the active portion of the forum and keep the archives available? A "look it up for yourself" post wont typically encourage new brewers and novice HBT members to participate which is not our goal...or at least mine. All I'm saying is your support goes a long way to make junior members feel comfortable until they get all the details worked out for themselves.

Thank you everyone for your support. Yes, I can look back in the archives but, as with many people, there's never enough time in a day. I am looking to make a still cider. I wondered if pasteurization would help or hinder that. I wasn't sure if the whole process would affect the taste at all.

Thank you everyone for your support. Yes, I can look back in the archives but, as with many people, there's never enough time in a day. I am looking to make a still cider. I wondered if pasteurization would help or hinder that. I wasn't sure if the whole process would affect the taste at all.

I am not as experienced with ciders as I am with beer, but I have had ciders that are pasteurized and those that have sulfites added. Pasteurized seems to make the cider seem less vibrant and less bright tasting, where the sulfite added version seems more fresh and flavorful in comparison. My .02

For what it’s worth, this is what I did. Experiment. 3 gallons cider (heated to pasteurization in my wart pot) + gallon mash & champagne yeast.
Then 2 gallons o-natural. With locks. (Although most people say to go with just a secured cloth over top). The gallon jugs were bubbling away...
Hopefully no cider vinegar!

628735F9-28C2-4C2A-9C4B-C89B877FCB49.jpg

Wait.... Are you talking about before you ferment or after?

Yes, before I ferment. I started two batches...1-1 gallon carboy with campden tablet...12 hours...pectic enzyne...12 hours Cider Yeast then airlock. 1 half gallon carboy with 1/2 campden tablet...24 hours...Cider Yeast then covered with paper towel. I wanna see what these different variables will do.

Wait.... Are you talking about before you ferment or after?[/QUOTE

Yes, before I ferment. I started two batches...1-1 gallon carboy with campden tablet...12 hours...pectic enzyne...12 hours Cider Yeast then airlock. 1 half gallon carboy with 1/2 campden tablet...24 hours...Cider Yeast then covered with paper towel. I wanna see what these different variables will do.

I have racked my cider into secondary after being in the primary for 4 weeks. It tastes very bland. How and/or what can I add for flavor? How long do I leave it in there before I can bottle?

I have racked my cider into secondary after being in the primary for 4 weeks. It tastes very bland. How and/or what can I add for flavor? How long do I leave it in there before I can bottle?

The only thing I can suggest is adding fruit juice, apple juice or juice concentrate. It can sit in the secondary for weeks or months. If it’s clear you can bottle. I have an eye chart behind my carboy.

Back