Do I need to pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrw28

Reaction score
Hi all,

Started a batch of robust porter fermenting on Saturday afternoon. It came in at 1.064 OG and has been bubbling along nicely since Sunday morning.

I pitched one smack pack of Wyeast 1028, having originally expected a lower OG and now I'm worried that won't be enough yeast to get the job done.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Should be fine. Not ideal, but fine. Just let the temperature free-rise during the tail end of fermentation to prevent premature flocculation.

adding more yeast at this point would likely just be a waste of money. the yeast will have reproduced enough to make it through. a point of pitching more is so that the yeast doesnt get stressed from excessive reproduction and cause off-flavors.

So with higher gravity wort does the yeast crap out at the start if it isn't up to the task, rather than crapping out toward the end and not fermenting totally!

So with higher gravity wort does the yeast crap out at the start if it isn't up to the task, rather than crapping out toward the end and not fermenting totally!

It tends to crap out towards the end. I just added some Notty to my OG 1.091 Steamroller Stout that stalled at 1.034. It's bubbling away nicely again. :rockin:

no it still craps out towards the end cuz its weaker. if thats the case your best off adding a starter of active yeast versus just another vial as it'll be tossed into a harsh environment and will lose a number of active cells. i would try raising the temp a few degrees and rousing the yeast by gently swirling the fermenter before that tho.

Back