Do i need more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibrigg

Reaction score
Imperial Russian stout is in primary - 11 days so far. OG was 1090. Gravity is now 1024 (8.8 ABV).
I'm thinking about adding some champagne yeast in secondary to reduce sweetness and raise the ABV. Any thoughts?

after only 11 days, it'll come down more. leave it alone for about another month and see what happens before you start thinking about drying it out more. that's a big beer. messing with it after 11 days is not a good idea

Would you recommend leaving it in primary for a month? I was thinking primary for 2weeks, and secondary for another month or so...

Bjcp guidelines suggest FG for a RIS as 1.018-1.030 so you are within range for the style already. A big body beer like that can handle it without tasting overly sweet. After only 11 days you still might get another couple points of attenuation.

Champagne yeast just asks for a host of problems when you carbonate and if the FG drops too low then body will suffer.

Why secondary? Just leave it in primary for 6 weeks.

I would give it at least another week- won't hurt, a beer like that isn't going to be crystal clear anyhow, so no need to worry about a secondary.

Back