Do I have to secondary NB Bourbon Barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx102

Reaction score
I'm brewing the NB kit Bourbon Barrel Porter this afternoon. When I finally add the bourbon and oak chips, do I have to rack into secondary. I'm not a fan of using a secondary. Since I plan on bottling it can't I just throw in the oak soaked chips in the primary and then come bottling time pour in the rest of the bourbon? Or will it not be mixed properly?
Or can I just drop it all in the primary and be done with it.
thanks

All I can contribute is my experience with that beer: we followed the instructions and gave it plenty of time in the secondary and it turned out delicious! It's a pretty big beer, with a lot of sugar going into it. Why risk ruining it just because you're not a fan of using a secondary? Believe me, it's a beer worth doing correctly!

You can put the oak right in the primary. You don't have to switch. It sounds like you are bottling so I'd rack from primary to your bottling bucket. Add bourbon there. If you are using a measured amount put it in the bucket first and rack your beer on it. That action will mix it pretty well.

Latest posts

Back