Do I have time for an Irish red ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
How long does a typical Irish red ale have to age?

I wanna brew up something this weekend that will be ready to serve by St Patties day but I'm concerned that I may not have the time.

I do extract and bottle condition and I'm looking at dipping a toe into partial mash soon.

Do I have the time and if so can someone point me to a solid recipe?

Thanks all

You've got plenty of time if you start this weekend, as long as you don't make it super high ABV.

Here's the extract recipe I made recently. You may want to take out some of the DME to drop the gravity:

9lb Light DME
2 lb Munich
1.75 lb Crystal 40
2 oz Peat Smoked Malt
1 oz Malted Barley

1.5oz Challenger (60min)
1 oz Goldings (20min)
1 oz Fuggles (10min)
1tsp Irish Moss
1 Packet Nottingham Yeast, rehydrated
Fermented 12 days @ 66-68F, Cold crashed 44hrs @32F

OG: 1.072
FG: 1.019
ABV: 7%
IBUs: 30.1
SRM: 15.7

Thanks guys

Would be probably shooting for 5-6%

Hw would the above recipe grain bill look as a partial mash?

If you're shooting for b/w 5 and 6% as a partial mash, I'd drop the DME down to 3lbs, and add in 2.5lbs of Maris Otter or 2-Row to the grain bill. That'll give you about 6.5lbs of grain to mash, ideally in about 10 qts of water.

If you're shooting for b/w 5 and 6% as a partial mash, I'd drop the DME down to 3lbs, and add in 2.5lbs of Maris Otter or 2-Row to the grain bill. That'll give you about 6.5lbs of grain to mash, ideally in about 10 qts of water.

Hows this look?

Patties IRA 1

Recipe specifics:

Style: Irish Red Ale
Batch size: 5.2 gal
Boil volume: 6.0 gal
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.015
Bitterness (IBU): 37.9
Color (SRM): 13.9
ABV: 6.0%

Grain/Sugars:

4.00 lb Light DME, 39.5%
2.50 lb Two-row (US), 24.7%
2.00 lb Munich (US), 19.8%
1.50 lb Crystal 40L, 14.8%
0.12 lb Smoked Malt, 1.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Challenger (AA 7.3%, Pellet) 60 min, 23.3 IBU
1.00 oz East Kent Golding (AA 5.1%, Pellet) 20 min, 9.9 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles (AA 4.0%, Pellet) 10 min, 4.6 IBU

-----

That looks good. It ought to do right by ya. Enjoy!

Irish red's are simple beers. I know you're bottle conditioning, but if it were going to be kegged, it could easily be grain to glass in two weeks, so yeah, you have plenty of time.

BTW... what's the deal with the smoked malt? IMO, it doesn't fit the style. I'd ditch the smoked and replace it with 4 oz roasted barley, since an Irish red without roasted barley isn't really an Irish red. Save the smoked malt for a Scottish ale or a Rauchbier.

BTW... what's the deal with the smoked malt? IMO, it doesn't fit the style. I'd ditch the smoked and replace it with 4 oz roasted barley, since an Irish red without roasted barley isn't really an Irish red. Save the smoked malt for a Scottish ale or a Rauchbier.

Ok so no smoked. Got that.
Hows this look and what do you think would be a good temp for the partial mash?
Irish For A Day IRA 1

Recipe specifics:

Style: Irish Red Ale
Batch size: 5.2 gal
Boil volume: 6.0 gal
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.014
Bitterness (IBU): 31.8
Color (SRM): 18.5
ABV: 5.6%

Grain/Sugars:

2.50 lb Two-row (US), 27.0%
2.00 lb Light DME, 21.6%
2.00 lb Munich (US), 21.6%
2.00 lb Light DME, 21.6%, boil for 5 min
0.40 lb Crystal 40L, 4.3%
0.25 lb Roasted Barley, 2.7%
0.12 lb Victory Malt, 1.3%

Hops:

0.75 oz Challenger (AA 7.3%, Pellet) 60 min, 20.6 IBU
0.75 oz East Kent Golding (AA 5.1%, Pellet) 15 min, 7.2 IBU
0.75 oz Fuggles (AA 4.0%, Pellet) 10 min, 4.1 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

Ale yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast Nottingham

-----

For mash temp, I'd go with 152 and hopefully the extract will allow for expected attenuation. I've never brewed a partial mash, so my experience with mash temps when extract is part of the overall equation is zero. Fortunately, this is a style where a little underattenuation won't hurt very much.

If you're going for a recipe that is true to style, which I assumed you were, based on the desire to have it ready to serve on St. Patty's Day and was the reason I asked about the smoked malt, you will want to dial back the bitterness. I would go with a single addition of Fuggles or EKG @ 60 minutes and keep it to 20 IBUs max. The reason for this is you want the malt flavors to come through and not be muted with bitterness. There should be no late hops additions.

Be sure to use 300L roasted barley and not the 500L (which is actually black roasted barley, but is sometimes described as "roasted barley").

BTW... the recipe as posted looks like a very delicious beer. It's just not going to be to style. You can decide if you want to brew it as-is or make a few tweaks to bring it into style. It's your brew, so ultimately it's up to you. There are no rules here that you have to follow.

So I'm not certain i can keep things at exactly 152 fo an extended duration of time
What would be the effect of a 4 or 5 degree swing during the mash?

Its a 10 gal pot so im not sure...but even so the lowest setting available on my oven is 175

Preheat the oven to 175. Shut off the heat and put the kettle in. You just need enough warmth to minimize heat loss through the kettle. Most of the conversion is done in 20 minutes or so, anyway, so if you can hold the mini-mash around 152 for that amount of time, you'll be fine.

Set the oven as low as it will go and turn it off when you put the mash vessel in the oven. I have heard others here use this method, anyway.

:)

Thanks guys
I actually have a smaller 5 gl pot that i can use for this.
May fit better

The whole thing went pretty well.

Hit 155 on stove top with 2 gallons if water and the grains, put it in the oven a few minutes after i had it preheated and then turned off.
Seemed to maintain about 158-160 ish for the duration of the mash (45-50 minutes )
Then sparged with 1.5 liters of 170 degree water.
Ended up with about 1.8-1.9 gal of wort that measured out to 1.067

Then took it outside to boil and added 4 gals to the pot and proceeded as normal.

Ended up with about 5.25 gals of wort at about 1.059.
Pretty close to what i was shooting for.
Pitched the yeast at 77 degrees and no its chill time.

Thanks for all the advice. I feel a whole l9t more confident in my abilities now.

20160116_220010_zpsrchsyuct.jpg

20160116_195944_006_01_zps2ayt70nz.jpg

Latest posts

Back