Do hops know when it's the end

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Of the twine that is. Reason I ask is I was checking in on my plants and one bine has reached the top eye bolt to which the twine is running through, so I climbed up to look at the top about 12' and there is no bud coming off the end. I just wonder if a bird ate it or it somehow knew there was nothing to continue grabbing onto and it just terminated itself. I strung more twine horizontally from that eye bolt in hopes that once it hit the top I could then train it horizontally to get more growth, there's two other bines on that same piece of twine close behind so if that ones lost there's the other two, plus a whole other plant. Just wondered if hops actually know when they hit the top otherwise how do u stop them from continuing to grow. Oh These are first year cascades in 5 gal pots.

Hops have been known to be an incredible smart plant. There is a book about "hops whispering", maybe you can try that and ask them.

jk, something probably ate them.

Mine climb up the 18' sisal then start falling over the top, some continue on down the trellis wire if they can catch it. I have about 30 plants now all well past the top wire and dangling in space. I also have a couple that lost the tip like yours, and they have stopped growing vertically but have started major side shoots. Maybe next year I will purposefully trim the bines as they approach the top, to encourage side arm growth, or just keep them trimmed at the crown a little longer than I did this year. It's a real pain trying to harvest all the loose cones flying around in the breeze above the trellis.

Cheers

Back