Do grains impact fermentation time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabbie92

Reaction score
I've heard someone state that their fermentation times are significantly shorter when they use German grains. In my experience only mash temp, yeast type, and fermentation temperatures can impact fermentation time. However, before I declare shenanigans I thought I'd ask here. So, what do you think? Is there any possibility that using German grains can speed up your fermentation times?

What do you mean by 'fermentation time'? Lag time? Time to reach FG?

I've only observed time to FG as a function of gravity, not grain bill. Aeration, proper pitch rate, and temp control are contributing factors, but OG is the dominant variable.

I believe the person who told me this was referring to time between pitching yeast and reaching final gravity. I agree with your comment, but didn't want to call him out on this before double-checking with some other people first!

The specific malts used can have all sorts of impact on the beer produced, but I've skeptical anyone can prove that malts from a certain country produce faster fermenting worts. Maybe he's referring to the fact that some malts have different protein levels.

Yes and no. The complexity of the sugars within the wort do impact fermentation time, usually lighter grains have fewer complex sugars as I understand it, so a lighter beer would have a faster fermentation time; that said, the difference is probably measured in minutes or hours, not days. What's more, fermentation temperature, mash temperature and yeast selection have a lot more to do with fermentation time than grain selection. So, if the person who said this is only making low OG German lagers and ales, then of course the fermentation time is going to be faster because the gravity is lower and the typical mash temperature is lower (for a more easily fermentable beer) than most other beer styles; use the same yeast, mash schedule and OG with America 2-row only and you'd see a similar fermentation time. So yes, this person is talking out of their ass; but in their defense they're probably confused because their low OG, light colored German beers ferment so much faster than their other stuff.

Back