Do flaked oats need to be mashed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
I am developing a hybrid oatmeal stout/chocolate stout recipe with lactose and specialty grains. I want to use about a pound of flaked oats. Do they need to be done in a partial mash or can I steep them with the grains? Thanks.

Yes avid is correct. I just started an oatmeal stout on Saturday and mashed the flaked oats with the other grains. Can't wait till its ready

They do not need to be mashed. They can be steeped.

more info:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

No they have to be mashed with some other malted grain.
The only oats in that chart are malted oats. Only malted grains can convert
themselves. If you want to make use of flaked oats, you need to mash them with grains that have enzymes in them to convert.

If you steep them the only thing you will get, if anything, is some of the
fat in the oats.

Ray

Isn't it possible to use instant oatmeal in place of flaked oats in an extract beer? I thought I'd read that somewhere.

Isn't it possible to use instant oatmeal in place of flaked oats in an extract beer? I thought I'd read that somewhere.

flaked oats=rolled oats=oatmeal. There are various ways of processing
and cutting the flakes (like "steel cut") but they are all basically the same
thing. They all should be cooked and at least partially gelatinized before
mashing with malt.

Ray

If you steep flaked oats, you'll get some of the mouthfeel, but none of the starches convert. The final gravity will be high and the brew will probably be cloudy. They really should be mashed with some base grain.

Thanks for all the help. I will be mashing them (first time) along with some other base grains as well. I've been using BeerSmith to do some of the math, trying to figure out the temps.

Back