Do Columbus and Amarillo go together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I'm planning a brew for this weekend to use up some Amarillo hops that have been in my freezer for over a year. I came up with a recipe for an IPA, but I'm concerned that it won't be "hoppy" enough with the amount of Amarillo I'm using. Here's the recipe:

12 lbs 2-row
8 oz Caraaroma
8 oz Carafoam

1 oz Warrior @60
1 oz Amarillo @15
1 oz Amarillo @flameout
2 oz Amarillo dry hop

The problem is, those quantities are for a 5 gallon batch, and I'm actually doing a 10 gallon batch and don't have enough Amarillo hops to meaningfully increase the amounts. However, I do have a ton (well, 11 lbs) of Columbus hops to use, so I was considering adding some Columbus with the Amarillo to boost the hop profile. But I've never used these hops together before - are they complimentary?

In my estimation, it will be light for a 10 gallon IPA. I bet it will still be tasty, but more of a Pale Ale than an IPA in profile.

Recently made a similar IPA. Used home grown Zeus hops with Cascade in boil with Zeus, Cascade and Amarillo as dry hops. Came out citrus like but after a couple of weeks taste like an East Coast IPA. I look at Anarillo as more of a premium priced hop and in the future would use it late in the boil instead of as a dry hop.

I think columbus would go great with amarillo. I used amarillo as a dry hop only for a couple ipas. Rest of it was columbus, chinook, warror and simcoe. It was awesome. Columbus adds a nice dank character. I'd add a bunch of it at 60 and 30 and then a little at aroma times with the focus on amarillo.

Is this a session ipa? I was just looking back at the grainbill. My ipa has twice the malt for 10 gallon batches.

Sorry, yeah, I meant the listed grain bill was for a 5 gallon batch. I'll be doubling everything for the 10 gallon batch, I just figured people are used to seeing grain bills and hop schedules for 5 gallon batches, so that's what I listed to give everyone a familiar frame of reference.

So when I went to modify the recipe in Beersmith, I noticed it listed "Columbus" as the same as "Tomahawk," and indicated it's traditionally a bittering hop. I checked the AA of my supply, and it turns out it's a whopping 16.7%, confirming the suggestion that it's intended for bittering.

Can it be used as a flavour/aroma hop too, or will it be too harsh?

I prefer to use Columbus as a bittering hop myself. I'd use enough at 60 to get you close to your IBU you want, and then use 2oz of Amarillo at 5 and the other 2oz to dry hop with. Or better yet, use the whole 4oz (2 at 5min and 2 at 0min) and order some more Amarillo for dry hopping in a couple of weeks. :mug:

I love Columbus and Amarillo together. But, I've never tried Columbus as an addition later than 10min. (I ought to rectify that situation.)

My favorite house APA recipe uses Columbus at 60min and 10min paired with Amarillo at 10min, flameout, and dry hop.

I've been toying with my Pale Ale recipe using Columbus + a fruity/citrusy hop. Columbus can be very dank and resiny, so I've been doing a 1:3 ratio of Columbus to the other hop. So far I've done Amarillo, Citra, and Mosaic and they've all turned out great and gotten really good feedback.

My general hopping schedule has been Columbus @ 60 for bittering, then the 1:3 ratioed additions @ 10, 20 min whirlpool/steep, and dry hop.

Go for it!

Columbus, tomahawk and Zeus are identical or nearly identical hops. Several recipes exist for a Zeus only hopped beer often with a stronger than typical malt base. With Columbus you get 3X the alpha of a aromatic hop like Cascade.
Can use Columbus for bittering or flavoring but easy to over bitter if you are not careful. Agree with posting above in that I rationed mine 1:2 for Zeus to Cascade late in boil and used Zeus at 60, 10 and in dry hop.

Lol. I can't think in 5 gallon batches. People brew that small??

I can't even think in ten gallon batches. I don't have many people to share my beer with because my peeps are mbc people. i only brew in 5 gal batches, even that can be quite a bit for me with hoppy beers as the hop profile tends to fade before i can finish the batch:mug:

Latest posts

Back