Do Another Starter or Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael311

Reaction score
I'm growing yeast from Chimay bottles for the first time. I started slowly with a small amount of low gravity wort in a mason jar and I worked up to a 1.6 liter starter on a stir plate over one week. The starter took off and after 48 hours I'm now cold crashing. My plan was to keep it in the fridge until brew day 2 1/2 days from now.

I'm looking at the band of yeast at the bottom of the beaker and it looks smaller than starters I've done in the past. I have no idea if I'm at the optimal yeast cell count because I don't know what I started with from the Chimay bottles. Mr Malty and other starter calculators don't have an option for growing yeast from bottles, only vials or smack packs where you have a measurable starting point. I have no idea what I started with but the end result looks smaller than past starters.

So do I boil more DME and do another starter for 1.5 days, hoping to grow more? Or do I pitch what I have and hope it's enough?

Or brew a lower gravity or smaller batch, then harvest from that brew for a full slurry

What I don't know is what you plan on pitching this into. I can't tell you wether this would be enough or not.

Since you have time though. I would do one more starter and harvest the yeast (save for later) before pitching the whole lot for a few batches.

What I don't know is what you plan on pitching this into. I can't tell you wether this would be enough or not.

Since you have time though. I would do one more starter and harvest the yeast (save for later) before pitching the whole lot for a few batches.

I'm brewing a Chimay Red clone with a 1.070 SG.

Back