DME for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GR22

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to brew the Deception Cream Stout - extract next week. As I have to buy the DME in even increments of 1 lb, I'll have extra Amber and Wheat DME. I'm thinking of using some of the Amber DME for my starter. Old posts seem to say to use light DME, but I think this would make a better starter for this brew. Is this correct or does it even matter?
Thanks

I don't know the exact correct answer (if there even is one). I would think the light DME is the best to use for any beer no matter if it is dark or light. With that said, using amber DME should have an affect on the beer since the starter size is so small compared to the batch size.

You could always cold crash the starter and decant the liquid on top and just pitch the yeast slurry.

It might have SOME effect on the beer, but it probably won't be much. I think people use light DME because its a great general use DME and works good with any style.

use what you have, it should not make a difference in a stout.

For a lighter beer use light DME.

Back