DIY Under Counter Kegerator Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbr_brewer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got a half-baked idea, and figured I could throw my plans out and get some feedback and insight.

The fiancé and I are about to begin remodeling the basement. I currently have a Sanyo 4912m that I converted into a two tap system and I love it. However, I'm wanting to put on a few more taps (at least 2 more), and additionally have some extra space for conditioning/lagering. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on a commercial under cabinet fridge (48" wide), but I can't drop $2,000 on a new model or $1,000 on a usedone. I've see a few refrigerated prep tables sell for $300 - $500 sometimes with Freon issues, and that's another option (see here for reference). I think those have potential for conversion into a multi-tap system, but the unit shown there is pending pick up and it could be awhile before another shows up.

The idea I've been kicking around stemmed from a small under cabinet DIY kegerator build in an apartment (a few threads down I believe). They essentially took the guts from a mini fridge, built a custom chamber and then used the parts for cooling. Obviously this fridge had externally mounted condenser coils and it took some carefully work to remove both the evaporation and condenser coils without breaking a line. However, I've done my fair share of DIY projects, and would be willing to take the risk for the potential benefit.

That brings me to my current idea, build an under counter kegerator chamber (48" wide, 34-35" tall, by 25" deep). That would give me ample room to have 4 - 6 beers on tap and still have a couple conditioning. I'm thinking I could either use two older mini fridges with the condenser coils mounted externally and the evaporation coils in the freezer compartment to cool the chamber. My concern is running both of the fridges on one temperature controller, and get even cooling across the unit. Another option I've been thinking about is finding an old mini freezer. I've got one located on Facebook Market Place now, and am inquiring about the condenser coils being external. I would imagine a 5ish cubic foot mini freezer (looks like mini fridge, and has evaporation coils on shelves) would be more than enough juice to cool a 16ish cubic foot kegerator chamber to the mid 30s.

Does anyone have any thoughts around the idea, or perhaps alternative options. Now I've already considered doing a keezer, but that's not really the look I'm going for. I could potentially put it in my brew room and running the taps through the wall, but I don't have a ton of space in there now and was hoping to free up some room for more fermentation chambers and storage. I've also considered finding an additional Sanyo or similar fridge to do a second mini fridge kegerator, but that doesn't provide any more room for conditioning. Lastly, I've also considered doing a full size refrigerator build, but again I don't think that's the look I'm going for. However, I may consider doing a vintage fridge build, but again that doesn't solve my conditioning space problem.

Nonetheless, thought I would use this forum's wealth of knowledge to help me with my plans!

Seems like a lot of work to remove and re-mount the guts from a small fridge, with risk of breaking freon lines in the process. I have had some success "extending" the cooling chamber of a mini fridge by building a box and (re-)using the original door.

If the hinges allow the door to open at least 180 degrees, you can mount the fridge sideways under the counter, and build the extension box to the side, keeping the door on its original hinges and letting it close onto your new frame (90 degrees from its original closing position). I recall some threads on HBT showing this.

I built a ferm/aging chamber by adding a box made from 2x4 + foam insulation board. Mounted the original fridge door on the box frame, and used drywall corner bead as the metal frame for the door magnets to grab and seal. Mine is surely not pretty but if you are handy you could make it look good.

With a single fridge you may not get a lot of rapid cooling capacity, but should be enough to maintain temp on 4+ kegs. Small fan in the chamber will keep cool air circulating across all the kegs.

chamber.jpg

chamber door.jpg

My long term plan is to do this as well once I get a house, and put it in the kitchen in a blind corner base cabinet. Mini fridge in the corner, with a fan to dissipate heat, a drip tray, and taps in the wall above it.

Appreciate the insight Moon Brewer, and thanks for the pics. I've considered doing a makeshift extension of one of my mini fridges, but like you I wonder about the rapid cooling capacity and it handling 6 or more kegs. I've been thinking about taking a mini freezer and doing the same idea. Those should have greater cooling capacity and may work well for this type of use. However, I come back to my personal obsession with ascetics. I'm not huge on the idea of rigging this all up and it looking half way presentable. Additionally, it might be a pain to get all six kegs in and out with one door. I'm kind of stuck on this refrigerated prep table kick. I've got another table located, and it doesn't need Freon work. I think that may be a budget option with the right modifications to the top. I'll keep this thread update as I move forward.

I'm thinking about doing something similar, since my undercounter fridge isn't working. I'm considering using an apartment size fridge for the cooling rather than a dorm fridge, since you can occasionally find free units on craigslist. I've only seen one thread, probably the same one you are talking about.

Back