DIY Stirplate using a broken Gamecube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirmeowsalot

Reaction score
So as I was attempting to relive some of my childhood and play a few Gamecube games when I found out it no longer worked. Instead of just tossing it I decided to try and be resourceful and take it apart for pieces to use on a homemade stirplate.

My questions are, the fan is only about 2x2 inches in size, is that too small to try and power a stirplate rod?

Luckily the power source is attached to the same piece that houses the fan, but unlike the stirplate I first bought it does not have a dial for speed, it's either off or on.

So I'm trying to figure out if I could still use such a small fan OR at least salvage the power source.

I'm new at wiring/electronics sorry if this is an FNG question. I can post pictures if it's needed.

Dude, you totally have to house the stirplate in the gamecube case! Awesomest stirplate evar.

There is a stirplate DIY thread around here somewhere,I would think the fan would be big enough. A cheap radio shack potentiometer should get you adjustable fan speed.

So as I was attempting to relive some of my childhood and play a few Gamecube games .

We had Atari when I was a kid. The only games were pong and pitfall. You freek'n youngsters. Get OFF MY LAWN!!!! :off:
You have to check if that fan is AC or DC, then see if you can mount it so it's almost touching the top of the box. At radio-shack they have big block magnets that work great holding stir-bars, I used two hot glued to a 2.5" fender washer. Not having a the correct magnets caused me problems making my first stir-plate.

Pics would be great but my suggestion would be to completely gut the inside and mount a whole new fan, potentiometer, and power switch.

Ha, by taking the Gamecube apart I meant grabbing a flathead screwdriver and a hammer, rather than buying a tool to remove the screws used to hold it together.

The sticky note is for reference of the size of the fan.

It appears the fan is DC, I'm assuming I can splice the wires and attach them to a potentometer, any other advice?

Again, first time doing this so bare with me.

2013-08-26_20-37-34_535.jpg

2013-08-26_20-37-49_479.jpg

2013-08-26_20-38-43_340.jpg

2013-08-26_20-38-58_479.jpg

Back