DIY Stainless Smoker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief_Brewing

Reaction score
So here's what I'm thinking...

I miss having a smoker (used my last propane smoker until it literally fell apart) and don't have the funds to get another one right now.

I do, however, have 2 sheets of really thick stainless (leftover from the previous owner of my house) that are each 28 X 48. I also have the element from an old electric smoker.

What I want to do, and what I'm looking for input on, is cut the stainless sheets with my trusty little angle grinder (will take forever, but should get the job done) into four 14 X 34 sheets, leaving two 14 X 28 pieces left. One of those would be extra, the other cut in half, resulting in two 14 X 14 pieces that would be the top and bottom, or just the top and another piece of scrap. The result would be enough metal to make a 14 X 14 X 34 metal box.

That's the general measurement of the metal. The issue I have ahead is that I don't weld, and don't know anybody local that would be willing to weld for beer. Think it would be possible to use 3-4 (per side) stainless L-brackets on the joints and lid, held on by stainless nuts/bolts? Would I be able to get a good enough seal for this thing to function as a smoker? Is there something heat-safe that I could seal the seams with?

I'd end up having to find the grill grates and drill more holes to install them, and then find something to function as legs and figure out the water tray and chip/chunk-wood box.

Venting the top would also be a challenge, but with an electric smoker, temperature control is easy, it's just a matter of smoke volume, do I'm less concerned about having a vent...

In summary, here's my thinking on the build steps, please critique and make any suggestions on how to do this better without spending any money beyond hardware...

- Cut stainless to size with angle grinder
- Smooth rough edges with ?? (something stainless safe)
- Drill L-bracket and door hinge holes
- Assemble
- Install legs
- Install heating element
- Install woodbox
- Install water tray
- Install grill grates

A few random questions:

- If I had to use non-stainless for the legs, what could I put as a buffer to keep from ruining the stainless/making it rust?
- What would be a good door securing mechanism? Magnets would be fun, but I don't know if this grade of metal is magnetic
- Is there a better way to cut these sheets? Their actual measurements are 28-1/8 X 48 and 28-1/2 X 48, which means that I'll be needing to do more than a few cuts.

Thanks for helping me indulge in my bargain basement build dreams!

Seems like you could convert an old gas grill pretty easily. Maybe add some SS to the grill to configure it the way you want. Building one from scratch seems like a lot more work than I'd want to go through. I found an electric smoker for $10 at a yard sale.

There is a side-by-side smoker for sale down the road from me too. Have no idea what it's called, but it's like 2 chambers, a short one and a tall one.

There's a guy selling 55 gallon steel drums in NJ (and willing to deliver!) cheap, but I'm lazy and partial to propane or electric so I can set-it-and-forget-it...

I guess I could look into selling the stainless sheets and use the money to buy something.

Just thought it would be great to build one from scratch. Maybe someday after I learn to weld....

My UDS maintained 200*F for 16 hours and burned 8 pounds of briquettes.

Burned the ribs too but, that wasn;t the UDS fault.

Back