DIY Sight tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forgetaboudit

Reaction score
I just finished my DIY sighttube and its not too bad. I could've done better had I had a dremel and a little patience. But all in all, it'll do what it needs to.

Its a polycarbonate plastic tube with a compression fitting in the T. Then I used a 1/2 copper pipe and sliced it down the middle. Then I added 1/2 gallon of water and marked the pipe with a sharpie, and then cut those lines with the cutoff tool.

Maybe I'll make another pipe sleeve when I get. Dremel. Then I'll tape off the lengths of all the volume slots and make them all the same. But for now, its ok.
20180820_163721.jpeg
20180820_163740.jpeg
20180820_163728~2.jpeg

I like it! I think the slots are a brilliant alternative to the etching you were wondering about in your other thread :mug:

If you do "re-do" it, rather than a Dremel cutoff wheel, use a hack saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade.
WAY more controllable and will produce a consistent width slot...

Cheers!

I like it! I think the slots are a brilliant alternative to the etching you were wondering about in your other thread :mug:

If you do "re-do" it, rather than a Dremel cutoff wheel, use a hack saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade.
WAY more controllable and will produce a consistent width slot...

Cheers!
Great idea with the hacksaw! Think I'll make another this weekend. Ive got a good chunk of pipe left.

Thanks! Yeah, I tried etching a scrap piece last night the cheap way you etch S.S. and it didnt work much at all, so I knew I had to think of a better way.

[emoji482]

fwiw, the hacksaw came to mind from folks that build tubing manifolds for cooler MLTs.
The ease of control and consistency of the cuts is the thing...

Cheers!

I consistently make crooked cuts with hacksaws. And coping saws. Anything with a blade width less than my hand is basically a free for all as to where the cut will end up.

I've always wanted to do that with the left over spare from the keggle.

So is the polycarbonate in the compression fitting rather that the copper, and the copper just slid over the top? I ended up threading my polycarbonate tube and having a threaded fitting but I do like the look of the pipe over the top? It's a bit blichmann ;)!

So is the polycarbonate in the compression fitting rather that the copper, and the copper just slid over the top? I ended up threading my polycarbonate tube and having a threaded fitting but I do like the look of the pipe over the top? It's a bit blichmann ;)!
You are correct. Needed some way to mark the volumes and I had the copper pipe laying on the workbench next to all my fittings while I was building. Said to myself, "Bingo! This might work!"

Wish the pipe would stay bright. Its already starting to lose it's shine. [emoji52]

Might spring for a spray can of high temp clear coat, try it on a brightened scrap piece of the same tubing, see what happens.
If it remains bright you could do your gauge...

Cheers!

Nice work!
What did you use to split the copper pipe so evenly?
If you make again, consider making the full gallon slots a bit deeper for quick ID.
Jb
Just a cutoff wheel on my grinder. Marked it out with a carpenters square beforehand.

Great idea about the gallon marks. I'll have to do that for sure!

Back