Diy mash paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I had a keg stem lying around and a couple extra cut tops. So I decided to cut a slit in the stem and cut a piece of the keg top off. I affixed it in the slit and used a c clamp to flatten it. I then drilled three holes with a unibit and tightened three stainless screws on it and I'm good to go!

Do any of you think I should drill some uniform holes in it?

ForumRunner_20120317_200331.jpg

ForumRunner_20120317_200344.jpg

Thanks, The picture doesn't do it justice. I buffed it to a mirror finish. Not sure about the tap end. I kinda like the look of it like that. I'll drill it tomorrow.

i dig it! i like the sanke end actually, i'd say keep it on and have a bit of weight up there.

You could remove the valve assemble off the end and make a nice wood handle from a large hardwood dowl. Maybe a wood "T" handle, make it look like an old shovel. Cheers.

I'd whack out four to six holes on the paddle face with a hole saw or a big punch. Holes really do help bust up doughballs.

great job petrostar! I really like it.

You might consider rounding the corners even more if you can to avoid scratching the inside of your mash tun. Scratches can lead to bacteria.

Unless of course your mash tun is stainless then who cares! :)

Looks like a work of homebrew art to me...

Any reason you couldn't put it back in the sanke lid? Obviously you would have to unbolt it. Then you could run a small motor to it.

I've decided that I'll leave the Sankey end on, it just looks cool and gives me something to hold onto.

I'll drill some holes and round the edges a bit today. I like the fact the paddle itself is curved. It makes the paddle so rigid.

Yeah I don't wanna scratch these beauties. They've taken a lot of time.

ForumRunner_20120318_102019.jpg

Back