DIY Keg Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've seen a few different projects on here regarding people that took cabinets and things and converted them to a kegerator.

I'm looking to do something similar, but I am basically looking to make a keezer from the guts of a refrigerator. I'll take 1" foam insulation and wrap it with pine rough cut pine for structure and a rustic appearance. It should look very nice.

My question is, how efficient will this be? Will I need some sort of moisture barrier around the inside of the insulation? Just trying to get some further input.

Thanks,

Mark

You can get real foil duct tape and completely line the inside and it will be basically the same as a normal freezer.

1 inch plus of foam(blue board) is a moisture barrier....all you'd need to do is tape seams. Though it wouldn't hurt clean up to line the whole thing with foil tape or even some whiteboard paneling.

1 inch plus of foam(blue board) is a moisture barrier....all you'd need to do is tape seams. Though it wouldn't hurt clean up to line the whole thing with foil tape or even some whiteboard paneling.

Thanks, I thought that, but I wasn't entirely sure. I figured I'd use reflectex tape on the seems to keep them tight. Now I just need to figure out something to seal the lid on nice and tight. Any ideas there?

Lowe's/Home Depot sell cheap foam weather stripping that is self adhesive....works like a charm

Do line it with plastic sheeting. I had my compressor die and my coils defrost over the course a couple weeks while I was gone. The foam insulation grew some mildew -- it would have been much easier to just remove a plastic liner than all the insulation. The same would apply to accidental beer spills, etc.

Back