Diy glycol chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a used portable ac unit 10k BTUs, plenty to chill my 5 gallon batches. I'm no electrician, but I have had to take some of the components apart for cleaning before, so I have some, albiet limited, knowledge of how this thing works. However schematics are not my strength when it comes to electronics. So I'm looking for some help on this build.

This thing has a float switch with a sensor, much like a home HVAC unit. It also has a pump for what I assume is the evaporative cooling feature.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is can anyone identify what exactly I need to disconnect from the circuit board to disable the thermostat. I have located the temp probes (there is one for the cold side and another for the hot.). I also know where the float switch and pump wires are located.

In one of the attached photos, I have labeled the float switch in yellow, the temp sensors in red, and the pump in purple.

Also attached is a wiring diagram for the unit. I just can't tell what all I need to disconnect.
20210816_102545.jpg
20210816_102943.jpg

If you are at all unsure how to do this, I would say that you should not do it yourself and that you should consult a qualified electrician to do it for you.

That said, for educational purposes only, here's the image of the main board rotated so that it matches the orientation of the schematic. The things that you have labelled are:
  • Yellow arrow: Water level switch.
  • Red arrow: room temperature sensor and coil sensor wires.
But get an electrical to do this...

20210816_102545-1.jpg

If you are at all unsure how to do this, I would say that you should not do it yourself and that you should consult a qualified electrician to do it for you.

That said, for educational purposes only, here's the image of the main board rotated so that it matches the orientation of the schematic. The things that you have labelled are:
  • Yellow arrow: Water level switch.
  • Red arrow: room temperature sensor and coil sensor wires.
But get an electrical to do this...

View attachment 741460
Yeah, my Dad is a now retired electrical engineer, so I consulted him in this build.

Back