DIY Fermentation chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbedard41

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a beer fridge that I would like to use as a fermentation chamber. The fridge has a temperature control which allows temps from 33-50 F. My question is if I use an inkbird temp controller can I get this fridge to go above 50F for fermenting ales (65-75F) or do I need to do something else?

Thanks and cheers

Yes, you can. That is precisely what they are designed to do. If the fridge is in a cold area, you may have to get a two stage controller and put a heat source in the fridge.

Yep. Plug fridge into the COOLING plug, and I use this for the HEATING plug. Just place the little heater in the fridge. Works great!

Make sure to set the fridge to its coldest setting and then let the Inkbird do the controlling. During the peak of fermentation the beer will be trying to warm the fridge and it will be more efficient on the lowest setting.

I use a minifridge with the Inkbird dual stage temp controller and a Fermwrap for heating. The Fermwrap does not create intense heat and it's heats the wort, not the ambient air.

FermWrap Fermentation Heater | MoreBeer

I also cover the temperature probe with some bubble wrap and tape it to the side of my fermenter bucket, just not on top of the Fermwrap. I get good results using this method.

I use a minifridge with the Inkbird dual stage temp controller and a Fermwrap for heating. The Fermwrap does not create intense heat and it's heats the wort, not the ambient air.

FermWrap Fermentation Heater | MoreBeer

I also cover the temperature probe with some bubble wrap and tape it to the side of my fermenter bucket, just not on top of the Fermwrap. I get good results using this method.

I used to use firmwrap but like the ceramic heater better. Its just one less thing to screw around with (it just sits in the fridge and never needs to be touched). The little ceramic heaters produce very gentle heat. I log beer temps and fridge interior temps during ferments and the fridge temp does not rise much at all when the heater cycles. Either work, but the ceramic heaters is nicer in my experience. Now, I am using a brewpi, so maybe an on/off control like an Inkbird won't work as well with a ceramic heater. I would have to look at a log to see when the heater turns off in relation to the beer hitting the target temperature (it turns off before hitting the target temp. to avoid overshoot).

I agree that an insulated probe is a must if you don't have a thermowell.

Shouldn't you place a fan in the fridge in order to circulate the air and not create a "hot Spot"?

Well, ceramic heaters have fans in them, so when they're on, there is air movement. That being said, I put a fan in my chamber that blows over the evaporator. I leave it running during the entire ferment to keep all the air inside the chamber well mixed and the same temp everywhere. It's not a bad idea to have a fan in a chamber. A quiet computer fan is perfect.

Back