DIY FasterFerment in Corny Super Awesome Never Rack Again KAPOW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noggins

Reaction score
Sooo, the fastFerment is neat and all, but personally I can't see dropping $100 on a fancy plastic bucket, no matter how sexy it is. I love the idea of no-rack-secondary, and think I could apply this same concept to fermenting in a corny, where once you rack wort into your corny you never touch it again until it hits your lips :p

Here's my idea for all you fuggers to tell me what's wrong about it...the basic idea is a custom built super awesome never rack lid, which would be a standard corny lid with a giant hole cut in the middle, with some type of small storage vessel attached by a ball valve. If you've never seen a FastFerment go take a look to get a better idea of what I'm describing.

The process:
1. Rack wort into corny keg
2. Seal with custom built super awesome never rack lid
3. Flip keg upside down and attach airlock blow off tube to liquid out(which should now be above your beer at the bottom of keg)
4. When primary is done, close the valve on the super awesome never rack lid and begin secondary(if desired)
5. Once secondary is done, flip keg over, remove super awesome never rack lid and fit standard corny lid. Then do whatever the f you want to with it.

Potential issues:
-Vessel attachment would have to be veery strong, or entire corny would need to be able to hang or be held up in some type of fermenter stand
-Not positive beer line would work as airlock tube, my science isn't so smart as it used to could
-Corny kegs are non-conically shaped..maybe some kinda insert thingy or a kajigger could solve this?

Other thoughts:
-Attached vessel could also have an optional attachment with another valve for removing one as primary and another as secondary.

I don't think this would be a good idea for anything other than a session beer. If you have any amount of krausen, it's going to clog up the liquid line. May work for 3 gallon batches of high gravity beer, I guess, but I have a 60L speidel fermenter (measures near 18 gallons at the lid) and I made a 10.5 gallon batch of 1.099 OG beer and I still needed a blowoff tube.

I don't think this would be a good idea for anything other than a session beer. If you have any amount of krausen, it's going to clog up the liquid line. May work for 3 gallon batches of high gravity beer, I guess, but I have a 60L speidel fermenter (measures near 18 gallons at the lid) and I made a 10.5 gallon batch of 1.099 OG beer and I still needed a blowoff tube.

So the custom super awesome never rack lid may need it's own thicker dipper tuber for super duper krausen blowoff.

I guess the shape of the corny isn't completely non-conical:

JhcMG.jpg

if you are already packaging in kegs why not just take the time and effort you would put in to making the special lid and stand and just get an extra corny and cut the dip tube an inch or so short. Ferment in there then transfer under pressure to a serving keg, then all you would need was a short section of beer line with liquid disconnects on either end. and the short dip tube would leave trub behind in the fermenter.

I personally cant think of anything upside down corny would give you that this wont (I could be missing something).

but for advantages: No krausen ring submerged in your beer in serving tank and potentially breaking loose and clogging your beer line. No potential yeast sitting on the inside of your lid gas dip tube and autolyzing and or falling back into your beer. Also no special tools or equipment needed just an extra dip tube and a few seconds with a dremmel tool.

that is my two cents.
-Chickens

Put some water in a corny with no pressure and turn it upside down. It will leak....allot. Those lids need pressure to seal properly

True, but that can be solved with a spunding valve attached to the liquid line (which is now open to the head space) and pressurized to 30psi or so.

But if it does leak, that would be a mess. I personally think if you want to ferment in the keg just be ready to blow out the trub and yeast. I say cut the dip tube up and transfer to a serving keg under pressure.

Also, this whole idea reminds me of these bottle caps I saw a while back.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2PPBmJZFd0&app=desktop[/ame]

It wouldn't be worth the trouble to me.

Back