Dixie Cup XXVI October 16-17, 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All,

The Houston Foam Rangers proudly present the 26th Annual Dixie Cup Homebrew Competition and Celebration! This year's event features Garrett Oliver (Brooklyn Brewery) and Scott Metzger (Freetail Brewing Co. - San Antonio, TX) as speakers. Other events include raffles, potluck dinner (provided by the Foam Rangers), and our infamous Fred Tasting food and beer pairing (hosted by Mr. Oliver, this year).

The event occurs on October 16-17 at the Crowne Plaza - Northwest/Brookhollow in Houston. Registration for the competition is now open, with entries due September 18 and an entry fee of $7/entry (September 25, for late entries, with an increased fee of $10/entry).

Registration for the entries and the event, as well as more information is at our website. Of course, you can always just ask me, too.

See you there!

TL

I just wanted to let everyone know that it's not too late to get your entries in for Dixie Cup. The early entry deadline is Friday. While that's pretty close, the late entry deadline is the 25th.

If anyone has any questions about the competition, let me know!

TL

Dang. I totally missed this thread before now. I would have entered some beers, too!

I have 2 in :)

Site is dead though.

If the deadline really has been extended, I could get a 3rd submission in today!

Anyone know for sure?

If the deadline really has been extended, I could get a 3rd submission in today!

Anyone know for sure?

Email was from Stu, said they were taking entries up until 10/2 at 5pm. Don't know how they are gonna handle unregistered entries coming in since the site is dead. You could call De Falco's and ask somebody what they are doing I suppose.

25 entries?

Thats 75 beers! Jeebus! I sure as hell aint payin 175 bucks in entry fees and throwing in 3 cases of my best beer for a contest!

That is totally OOC dude.

Sorry about not getting back with everyone about this. I thought I had subscribed to the thread! Anyhow, yes, we did have some technical difficulties. The Foam Rangers and Dixie Cup websites are hosted in Portland,Oregon, and the Qwest lines went down for a little while. Everything is back up and running just fine, and we are looking into backups so that it doesn't happen again. Sorry it took so long to get back up, but the problem was with the lines, not with our server, so we had to depend on them to get back on-line.

We've been judging a lot of first-round entries over the last couple weeks, and we're looking forward to the rest. I've personally judged some excellent homebrew and meads.

Anyhow, yes, it's Dixie Cup week! It's hard to believe that, one week from today, we'll all be dragging ourselves out of bed and looking back on the 26th Annual Dixie Cup.

Our speakers, Garrett Oliver and Scott Metzger, are confirmed (despite what it says on the Events page). olllllo, it wouldn't surprise me if Yeager and other beerlitterati show up, but none of them are officially on the roster. I do know that we have a whole bunch of homebrew and commercial beer lined up for the weekend, so things are looking good.

I hope to see y'all out there!

TL

Nope. Zilch in either the First Time Entrant or the American IPA catagories for moi.

Still looking forward to getting some comments back from the judges.

I figured I wouldnt take anything in the IPA catagory, as hotly contested as that catagory usually is and my brew being too middle of the style to have a real shot against more extreme versions. But I thought I had a shot at the First Time catagory. Turns out there were 30 frikin entries in that catagory this year, as opposed to 5 last year! Arg.

Big congratulations to Sacc and McHandbag! I did get to have a little sample of that Brown Porter, McH, and it was excellent!

Oberlin most certainly was shooting for the Moon, this year, and hit it! The Templeton Award is a big deal!

By the way, Garrett Oliver and Scott Metzger are great guys and great speakers. Both gave excellent talks on Saturday. Garrett gave us over an hour, with very few notes, on some of his collaborations over the years, and his German accent is dead on. Scott presented a hard-earned wealth of information about starting up and maintaining a brewpub (or just about any small business, for that matter).

Yaeger did make it down and spent the whole weekend. He's researching a new book about the homebrewing community. I got to spend a good bit of time with him, even judging a second round flight, and enjoyed every minute. Also in from the beer writing crowd were Travis Poling, Ronnie Crocker, and Debbie Cerda.

It was a great weekend. I really needed a nap, afterwards.

Congratulations to all the winners!

TL

Thanks Tex! Too bad we couldn't attend. All the brewers were in a wedding last weekend. Dixie was our second time to enter a competition (good feedback at Bluebonnet, but no win) and first win. We're all still flying high. Now we're hungry for more...

And my BW is the Cerveza Quinceanera. I've since changed the name to Old Campfire Stories, though it shouldn't matter on brewday. :)

Yeah, post that Brown Porter! 'Twas yummy!

TL

Latest posts

Back