Distilling methanol out of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the azeotrope has nothing to do with the question at hand....
Neither does a pot or column still. The OP simply wanted to know if he could evaporate specific volatile compounds from his beer, and if that would lessen the effect of hangovers and/or damage the final product. I think he got his answer.

StMarcos, why are you so insistent on correcting everyone? Nearly every one of your posts is not helpful to the OP, but rather nitpicking the ensuing discussion to a point where the entire thread has gone OFF TOPIC. Please cease.

What's wrong with presenting the correct information that's needed to understand the answer to the original poster's question? I'm just trying to help and feel that I'm qualified to do so. When there's faulty information it doesn't do anybody any good to let it sit there. Sometimes there is a need to explain the reasoning behind an answer and not simply give a yes or no. I don't think this forum would be all that informational if every answer was given as a yes or no. I think most of the members here are interested in knowledge that goes beyond the basics.

The original post was about removing methanol by boiling it off. They thought that you could do this by bringing the beer to the boiling point of methanol, which is near the temp for pasteurization, the idea being that it wouldn't significantly hurt the beer as many manufacturers pasteurize. The answer is not one dimensional and several of the posts were misleading or incorrect. I'm not trying to antagonize those posters, just trying to get the correct information on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back