Distilled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nunnlife

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and just started my third batch yesterday and tasted my first batch. The first batch was a pre-hopped LME porter that came out sour. I assume this was from bacteria that beat the yeast in the sugar eating battle. I suspect it was because of the water I used, or at least the containers that I neglected to sanitize before using to top off the wort. So now for this current batch, a Brewers Best Russian Imperial Stout, I used distilled water. I read that this will leave the beer tasting flat because of the lack of minerals. Is there any way to fix this at this point? Should I added anything when I rack to second stage fermentation?

Did you see anything funky growing on that 1st beer while in primary? How bout in the bottles? Could be a lacto infection,barring green beer.

Nothing visibly wrong but the sour taste was evident when we racked to second stage after a week of fermentation. So I'm thinking it wasn't the bottling but something I missed at the beginning. I was very careful with sanitation so I'm lost on what I may have missed.

If your secondary was too big,it could've introduced air into the large head space. Like if you put 5 gallons in a 6 or 6.5 gallon carboy/secondary.

Nothing visibly wrong but the sour taste was evident when we racked to second stage after a week of fermentation. So I'm thinking it wasn't the bottling but something I missed at the beginning. I was very careful with sanitation so I'm lost on what I may have missed.

After only 1 week? It should be in the primary at LEAST 2 weeks, I'm leaving my arrogant bastard clone in for 3 weeks, even though it's really ready now (after 2 weeks)

@nunnlife: Before you racked your first beer to secondary, did you take any hydrometer readings to make sure it was done fermenting?

My first batch has been in primary for a month now.

There is a great thread somewhere that talks about green beer, and patience being a virtue. It'll be fine! Let it sit in the bottle for a few more weeks. Hopefully it was done fermenting before you bottled it.

I only left it in the primary for one week. It looked like I was too impatient for my first beer. I didn't take a hydrometer reading when i racked to second but did do a reading midway and again before bottling to make sure fermentation was finished. I learned a lot from my first batch. Glad to hear that it could still mellow out in the bottles.

Back