Dissolving Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadymi

Reaction score
Today I backsweetened a cocoa mead I started in April. I used the local wildflower unprocessed honey that I mostly use for everything. It is normally quite crystallized when I get it. I've never had an issue dissolving it in warm water when starting a mead.

Today I added 1/2 lb to 1 gallon mead and gently rolled the glass jug until the honey appeared to be dissolved. I now have a 1/2 of goo on the bottom. I am afraid of oxidixing the mead by being too aggressive in my agitation.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

SG is at 1.028, I havn't stabilized but I think I have gone beyond the abv tolerance of the yeast.

If you have the time I would just leave it be, I did the same thing and found that just swirling every few days to lift the next layer of honey was enough to get it disolved eventually. Took about a month I think on my 5 liter batch.

If you have the time I would just leave it be, I did the same thing and found that just swirling every few days to lift the next layer of honey was enough to get it disolved eventually. Took about a month I think on my 5 liter batch.

Thanks......that's what my wife said but I needed another opinion........:mug:

Back