Dishasher ruins flip-top caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
I'm thinking of throwing my grolsh bottles in the dishwasher on the sanitize function before I bottle tomorrow. Will this: a) absolutely wreck my plastic flip tops, (b) possibly wreck them, (c) probably not wreck them.

Also, I have jet dry in my washer. Is that going to be a problem?

I have run plastic through my dishwasher on sanitize and have never suffered from melted plastic; however, that doesn't mean the risk isn't there. If you plan to do it, I would keep the plastic parts away from any heating elements in the washer just to be safe.

As for Jet Dry, you don't want to use it with bottles. It will kill your head retention and consequently you'll be pouring beers with no head.

Honestly, I would just make up a big batch of sanitizer, and soak your bottles for whatever the recommended time is for your brand and then bottle away. I usually will just throw 10 at a time in my sink to sanitize, and as I bottle, I'll throw more in so there is a constant supply available. Doesn't add that much time and doesn't risk destroying your precious Grolsch bottles or your beer's head.

As for Jet Dry, you don't want to use it with bottles. It will kill your head retention and consequently you'll be pouring beers with no head.

If I have Jet Dry in my dishwasher now and use it but then do a Star San rinse would I be OK? :mug:

no Jet Dry, and remove the washers from the ceramic tops (to allow for better cleaning behind them) - then have at it. Let the washers soak in StarSan a few minutes and pop 'em onto the tops at bottling time.

If I have Jet Dry in my dishwasher now and use it but then do a Star San rinse would I be OK? :mug:

Why run through the dishwasher if going to use StarSan anyway?

I already have jet dry in my dishwasher. I'm don't think there's a way to turn it off. I think it just has to run out. I'll have to check on that I guess. I don't have access to a no-rinse sanitizer. I only have diversol. I haven't found a local supplier of starsan so I may have to find a distributor online. I'm interested in the dishwasher because I find sanitizing the bottles to be so time consuming.

Back