Disease? Pest? Weather?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
Ok, got a question. Never have I seen this before. I've grown hops here in upstate New York for 6 years now. Definitely not a pro but enough to see various things, etc. this one havent seen and I am really bummed. I currently have 200 plants and all are/have done very well here. Intend to have 300 plants by next season and sell some. Cascade, Centennial, Magnum, Heirloom Vermont and HeirloomC
I found an heirloom here on property last year and propagated 3 of them from large rhizomes. Plan was to have this years cones tested to see if they were something I would like to keep around in more numbers. I believe its Cluster Hops but that doesnt matter, heres the deal.

The ONLY plants that did not do well are the heirloom C's ( found here last year ). Including the large one I left in place and did not disturb any soil near it just cleared some brush,etc. away so it got nice sunlight.

SO, the plants took off like a banshee. Matter of fact they were keeping up pace with my fastest and hardiest varieties ( Magnum and Centennial ). They started blooming earlier than the others with TONS of real nice developing cones. They would have been very nice producers. Then, all of the sudden I notice them turning brown around the edges of the cones. Within 2 weeks almost every cone was dead or might as well be. Leaves and bine were good, nothing wrong with them, just the cones.
My thought is with tons of rain this year maybe they are susceptible to too much water? That's my only guess. Have no clue. What else could it be? I only fertilize my plants the first year so I did these as well every few weeks.
The other thing noteworthy is last year when I discovered them they also had tons of cones but way up high in the tree so I couldn't get at them. Looked like several pounds. These too looked to be producing 2 pounds per plant easy.
Anyway, heres some pic's. You can see the one photo has new cones mixed in with dead ones. I did actually harvest a couple ounces.
Thanks.

Hop1.jpg

Hop2.jpg

Hop3.jpg

Marcellus NY here. All my hops took off so well and then turned yellow and brown. Beetles attacked them bad also. My neighbor has lots of Cascade and last year they did so much better. My plants that turned yellow and brown now have lots of new green growth.
I blame CNY weather!! It will be snowing in another 45 days or so. I am hoping next year will bring a better harvest.

Funny Marcellus. You know Central New York don't ya. lol I'm actually looking forward to a nice early Winter myself.
I agree, last year Cascade did SUPER. this year not so much. Others did same as usual. I'm thinking too much rain for the heirlooms and too much rain alltogether in general. IDK.

Almost looks like verticillium wilt. Its caused by a fungus from cool and wet conditions. My hops stayed healthy but my grapes, tomatoes, and cucumbers all got the wilt.

Back