Discrepency between BeerAlchemy & AHS data

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightstrm

Reaction score
I just purchased BeerAlchemy for OSX and was inputing the receipe for the AHS Lemongrass Wheat Ale mini-mash kit I plan on brewing this weekend and noticed a slight discrepency in the SG. AHS reports it as being 1.055, where BA says 1.063. Now I know it isn't much, but which number is more likely to be correct? My first impression is that the software is more accurate...

Any tips on using the software would be appreciated; this is my first time using software to keep track of my brew sessions, and I'm eager to learn about it.

My guess would be that there is a default brew house efficiency parameter which does not match to the one used to calculate SG for the recipe.

..and if you know where abouts your efficiency tends to be, you can figure out your target SG then get your brew on and see how close you hit!

So I think two things are happen here

1. AHS knows the exact malt they are giving you, the ppg values
2. They assume some default efficiency

If you ask them, I am sure they would be happy to give you these values.

BTW, do you like BeerAlchemy? They are offering it for $22 until June and I was considering buying. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the tips... I think you were exactly right; BeerAlchemy was defaulting to a 75% efficiency. If I keep the ingredients the same, I hit the same numbers as AHS reported with closer to a 50% efficiency. Since this will be my first mini-mash, I'm not quite sure where it will end up, but we'll see! :)

The 25% off was the main reason in me picking up the program. From the reviews I have read, it is a pretty highly-regarded program for OSX and so far I have been pretty impressed with it. It really has the look and feel of a native OSX application, unlike some of the other ones that have been ported from Windows. I'll definitely keep using it and report my opinions as I get more comfortable with it.

nightstrm said:
The 25% off was the main reason in me picking up the program. From the reviews I have read, it is a pretty highly-regarded program for OSX and so far I have been pretty impressed with it. It really has the look and feel of a native OSX application, unlike some of the other ones that have been ported from Windows. I'll definitely keep using it and report my opinions as I get more comfortable with it.

I downloaded the trial, 7 launches, maybe I will never close it and since it has been 57 days since I rebooted my MacBook Pro I might not ever use those 7 up:D From the couple seconds I looked at it, I like it. Look forward to reviews, may influence my decision to buy.

Back