Discovery Cancels Brewmasters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done and done. Can't believe AB reneged on their advertising for this.

Not more of this crap..that's an unsubstatiated rumor coming from an uncredible source. :rolleyes:

It's Anthony Bourdain who started it for chrissake, he's practically a television troll in his own right. I'm a big fan of his, but jeez the stuff he's said and done on tv at times is brutal. I remember when he was on food network set for something supposedly sabotaging Emeril's prep fridge.

Not another AHB/inbev is the evil empire bs.....we were all posting on here and commenting when Brewmaster's was airing the irony of seeing BMC commercials during the run of the series...so how did the evil empire reneg on advertising?

Here, go and cast your vote....even though they believe in this evil empire bs as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/vote-236382/

The other question I have is how can a show that only HAD a 6 episode run be cancelled??? The show had it's run, which was limited. It may not be renewed, but who says it was ever scheduled to be renewed????

+1

I've bought craft/micro/imported beers in Detroit since I turned 21 in 1986, whether it was micro brews at Traffic Jam or imported beers at Ye olde tap room, or Union street, or even Double Diamond or or Guiness back in the day in Detroit, and it's gotten better.

I see more and more craft beers in stores everyday. New ones, and regional ones that I've never seen before, so I just don't see these "hurdles" by the Evil BMC empire that folks claim are out there being so insurmountable.

I use Port Huron as an example, it's still relatively a small town (30,000) , but I've got two party stores in walking distance from downtown where I live, (including a buschemi's) that have amazing craft beer selections and they add more shelf space for micros nearly weekly. Then if I get in my car I have 2 more places in a 3 mile radius that have craft beers, one of them has 3 times the brands that buscemi's has. Plus I can walk to 1 brew pub, two "normal" bars and one coffeehouse that has craft beers on tap. And those are just the ones I know about. I pass by a ton of beerstores in PH everyday that I've never been it...they could have craft beers as well, that I just don't know. And like I said, that's just in Port Huron..not to mention all the places in the detroit/metro area, as well as Krogers and Meijer's.

It's like the golden age of beer in America...we keep complaining about how bad BMC is and how they are keeping us from having craft beer...But I've got more available to me than ever before. BMC keeps losing sales, but the craft beer keeps filling shelf space. I mean there are more craft beer breweries represented these days in most of the stores that I frequent than bmc's offerings. Typically the first 3 fridge thingy's might be all of BMC, but the next 5 or 6 are all craft beers.

Revvy - I just heard that AB had M*A*S*H cancelled because Hawkeye and Trapper wouldn't put budlight in their still. :D

And the fact that you used that popular culture analogy and I understood it, just goes to prove how old we are. ;)

You heard about the connection between the Busch family and the Nazi party didn't you...oh wait I think according to Maureen Ogle that one might be true...:drunk:

So that might explain it. Maybe they ARE running things.:fro:

Revvy said:
Not more of this crap..that's an unsubstatiated rumor coming from an uncredible source. :rolleyes:

It's Anthony Bourdain who started it for chrissake, he's practically a television troll in his own right. I'm a big fan of his, but jeez the stuff he's said and done on tv at times is brutal. I remember when he was on food network set for something supposedly sabotaging Emeril's prep fridge.

Not another AHB/inbev is the evil empire bs.....we were all posting on here and commenting when Brewmaster's was airing the irony of seeing BMC commercials during the run of the series...so how did the evil empire reneg on advertising?

Bourdain's show and Brewmasters share the same production company, not that hard to believe he could be privy to info regarding this. Also wouldn't be a surprising move on AB's part.

Sad. Big beer strikes again.

http://beerandwhiskeybros.com/2011/03/30/was-brewmasters-killed-by-big-beer/

noreservetweet.png

http://twitter.com/#!/NoReservations/status/52835367430266880
http://twitter.com/#!/NoReservations/status/52834992082006016

I personally was happy to see the Sam Love-fest go off the air. Maybe next time when they call a show BREWMASTERS, it will have more than one brewmaster and really show some good brewing information.

I personally was happy to see the Sam Love-fest go off the air. Maybe next time when they call a show BREWMASTERS, it will have more than one brewmaster and really show some good brewing information.

This. Agree completely.....more matter, and less art.

This doesn't surprise me and its probably true...And it absolutely sucks if it's true. If you don't believe "Big Beer" companies are trying to monopolize the beer industry, you've been living under a rock. This is just another reason why I will never drink that garbage ever again! They don't try to help grow and expand the industry. Instead, they take every opportunity they can to knock down craft beer.

They dominate advertising, shipping, shelf space by filling 50 types of bottles/cans with the same urine...it's disgusting what they are allowed to get away with!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Off of DFH Facebook account

Dogfish Head Beer From Sam:
"A number of folks have been reaching out to me today about this twitter stuff. I'd rather focus on positive stuff than negative at this point. So this is what I will say:
No comment. Other than I'm a big "No Reservations" fan.
And... now more than ever - support your small, truly-indie breweries! Last night I had Two Prima Pils, and an Aprihop. Today I had cask-conditioned Thyme Pale Ale, Baladin Nora, Birra Del Borgo ReAle, and am enjoying an Indian Brown Ale as I type this.
Focused on the goodness inside the bottle instead of the weirdness outside the bottle.
Cheers."

Maybe this could have some truth behind it. Very good political response, but if it was untrue I would have expected Sam to say that.

Yes, AB is so evil that they're the one ultimately responsible for reducing the DFH distriubtion because AB was simply buying out all DFH in stock making them look bad.

AB didn't cause the tsunami, but it did pay the tsunami to destroy the Kirin Brewery to increase market share by .00001%. Maureen Ogle hinted this in a smoke signal that I saw last night, so it's definitely true.

MillerCoors caused the plug to be pulled. Nobody will come out and say it, but that's what happened.

But can someone actually point to a REAL news story instead of a bunch of tweats...I clicked on the antlantic life's big store...and there's nothing about advertising, big beer or anything...'

]http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/...e_food_and_beer_from_eatalys_la_birreria.php#

There's nothing but tweets reffering to other tweets and one blog that was based on Bourdain's initial tweet.

I don't get if you know that Tweets are not news.....

Until we see an actually story wrtitten in complete sentences all anyone is doing is perpetuating a meme....spreading rumors based on the thinnest of unsubstantiated information.

In the ORIGINAL Brewmasters Cancelled thread they are showing Anthony Bourdains tweetss...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/discovery-cancels-brewmasters-216041/index3.html

But can someone actually point to a REAL news story instead of a bunch of tweats...I clicked on the antlantic life's big store...and there's nothing about advertising, big beer or anything...'

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/0..._food_and_beer_from_eatalys_la_ birreria.php#

There's nothing but tweets reffering to other tweets and one blog that was based on Bourdain's initial tweet.

Until we see an actually story wrtitten in complete sentences all anyone is doing is perpetuating a meme....spreading rumors based on the thinnest of unsubstantiated information.

Any actual search to see if there's really NEWs about reffers back to the blog and the twits....that's hardly enough to make such a big deal out of. Bourdain was probably just spouting off an OPINION, like he's known to do...WITH NO BASIS IN FACT....

And some of you guys are like a bunch of old ladies with your knickers in a twist because you just want another reason to hate "big beer." Which more than likely had nothing to do with it.

Well not here, this is the fun thread...but give me a break.

I was referring to Sam's posting last night on Facebook. If it was untrue, I just wished he would say it. Instead he says

"Dogfish Head Beer From Sam:
"A number of folks have been reaching out to me today about this twitter stuff. I'd rather focus on positive stuff than negative at this point. So this is what I will say:
And... now more than ever - support your small, truly-indie breweries! Last night I had Two Prima Pils, and an Aprihop. Today I had cask-conditioned Thyme Pale Ale, Baladin Nora, Birra Del Borgo ReAle, and am enjoying an Indian Brown Ale as I type this.
Focused on the goodness inside the bottle instead of the weirdness outside the bottle.
Cheers."

I was referring to Sam's posting last night on Facebook. If it was untrue, I just wished he would say it. Instead he says

"Dogfish Head Beer From Sam:
Cheers."

And again, there's nothing SUBSTANTIAL there, he;s just refferring back to the comments Boudain made, which noone knows what they mean...because they're in ****ing tweetspeak, a bunch of cryptic BS. again Bourdain was probably just speaking his opinion...again that's not news...I take it that he's kinda making a bit of a dig at Bourdain for saying that comment. That's still nothing...that's smoke. Don't you think Sam would have talked about AHB and not Bourdain if there were anything there?????

It's like highschool....He said, she said, and comments on what he or she said..

We have kicked them out of our state and now off the TV, good riddance. The reason they can't sell their product very well here is because there are so many awesome craft breweries around this area...do not make me break out the list...don't...do...it...

and what is with this quote???
Has he never had ANY of his own product? Trust me, there is plenty o' weirdness to be had INSIDE a DFH bottle as well as outside. These guys make some of the weirdest beer I have ever had...

Revvy,

I'm not saying this is a huge InBev Conspiracy. I think the cancellation says a hell of alot more about the apathy in our beer community. There was finally a main stream media outlet to further the beer education of the AB drinking masses. Joe eighteen pack may have found a gateway beer with DFH and if the series evolved to promote other great breweries like Bells, Souther Tier, Victory etc, he may try that as well.
If the rating were so low that it warranted cancelling the show even with some in the can it says alot about our disfunctional little community. It failed because we beer enthuiasts didn't show enough support and neither did the hundreds of brewers that have a hard enough time competing with the MACROS.
Why should InBev help to keep the competition on the air by buying up all the advertisement?

If you think Sam is a shameless self promoting ****** that's fine. But you cannot debate that DFH has taken up alot of tap handles in some really non-craft bars/restaurants and isnt that the point? We want choices, and the larger the variety becomes and the more competitve the industry is and the better change of changing the three tier system to really open up the market.
All I ask is for a vote to show the Discovery Channel that this community is united and has a large voice. It's not a vote for Sam, it's a vote to keep growing the craft beer movement. (phew...sorry about the soap box)

PROST!!:mug:

And besides does anyone not see the ludicriousness of ahb "pulling ads" from this show? Hell if I were big beer and there was this show about beer on EVEN if it were craft beer and had nothing to do with my product line, I would have wrapped my adds around every second of that show. In fact I would have grabbed all my pseudo craft and imported beer lines like Stella and Bud American Ale and whatever else I had and I would have ridden the coattails of all the eyeballs glued to the show- all the beer geeks and people who are interested in beer (who may only drink BMC- but think beer is cool to watch on tv) and made sure my products were first and foremost in the minds of the viewers whenever Sam was off screen and a break was on.....I would have been like a horsefly on the latest Derby Winner, or a crab on the pube of a beauty queen....Just hanging on and enjoying the ride, and getting all the extra eyes on me.

In fact I still maintain that they did that, and we saw beer commercials for BMC while the show was airing, and folks commented about it on here.

You know, the idea of "pulling ads" has very little weight these days...It's not like the days of 3 networks and proctor and gamble practically shooting the shows themselves. You think if someone pulls their adds, there's not going to be 100 other companies jumping on for the empty ad times? Especially if the ad broker is desperate and decides to discount the block to fill it. Think about the suprebowl, are their any ad blockes ever empty? Even if the NFL pulls a "questionable" ad? There's always going to be another company, some lowly dotcom that at the last minute will scrape together a few bucks to put one of their adds in a slot as a gamble. Someone decides these days to withhold sponsorship the ad guys for the channel shrug their shoulder's and pull out their blackberries and call the next tier advertisers, and say "have I got a deal for you?"

...and the better change of changing the three tier system to really open up the market.

This is BS perpetuated by the Beer Wars is Gospel crowd. The propoganda viedoe shows this "Three Tier System" as if it is a federal mandate, when in fact very few states have a strict three-tier system legally. IF there is a system like this in place, it is more driven by simple economics than legal mandates.

If the rating were so low that it warranted cancelling the show even with some in the can it says alot about our disfunctional little community. It failed because we beer enthuiasts didn't show enough support and neither did the hundreds of brewers that have a hard enough time competing with the MACROS.

I disagree. If a TV show (ANY TV show) needs "support from the enthusiasts" to stay afloat, it doesn't deserve to be.
I couldn't care less about the whole AB conspiracy thing. I agree with Revvy that there's not a single shred of real evidence that that conspiracy is real.
I can tell you I didn't like brewmasters. I watched it a couple of times, and found it incredibly boring. Sam Calagione may be a very nice guy, but he doesn't have the charisma to carry on a show like that, at least not for long.
Maybe it's true about AB threatening Discovery to pull the advertising. I doubt it. Discovery doesn't lack potential advertisers. Either way, I doubt a few thousand signatures are gonna be enough to make them change their mind.

I voted and did like the show a lot and do hope it comes back on air. Unfortunately even with the target number of the poll being 500,000 the number is fairly low for TV standards. I just don't see Discovery putting this back on even though they should because I thought it was an interesting show. Everything on TV is about ratings. Ratings = ad revenue and we all know that everything is about money. It's simple business math.

beerloaf

This is BS perpetuated by the Beer Wars is Gospel crowd. The propoganda viedoe shows this "Three Tier System" as if it is a federal mandate, when in fact very few states have a strict three-tier system legally. IF there is a system like this in place, it is more driven by simple economics than legal mandates.

EXACTLY....and the minute some tiny allegation they come out like roaches in the woodwork, because they just want to believe...

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/0..._food_and_beer_from_eatalys_la_ birreria.php#

Any actual search to see if there's really NEWs about reffers back to the blog and the twits....that's hardly enough to make such a big deal out of. Bourdain was probably just spouting off an OPINION, like he's known to do...WITH NO BASIS IN FACT....

And besides does anyone not see the ludicriousness of ahb "pulling ads" from this show? Hell if I were big beer and there was this show about beer on EVEN if it were craft beer and had nothing to do with my product line, I would have wrapped my adds around every second of that show. In fact I would have grabbed all my pseudo craft and imported beer lines like Stella and Bud American Ale and whatever else I had and I would have ridden the coattails of all the eyeballs glued to the show- all the beer geeks and people who are interested in beer (who may only drink BMC- but think beer is cool to watch on tv) and made sure my products were first and foremost in the minds of the viewers whenever Sam was off screen and a break was on.....I would have been like a horsefly on the latest Derby Winner, or a crab on the pube of a beauty queen....Just hanging on and enjoying the ride, and getting all the extra eyes on me.

In fact I still maintain that they did that, and we saw beer commercials for BMC while the show was airing, and folks commented about it on here.

You know, the idea of "pulling ads" has very little weight these days...It's not like the days of 3 networks and proctor and gamble practically shooting the shows themselves (like "Soap Operas" being put on by the P&G.) You think if someone pulls their adds, there's not going to be 100 other companies jumping on for the empty ad times? Especially if the ad broker is desperate and decides to discount the block to fill it. Think about the suprebowl, are their any ad blockes ever empty? Even if the NFL pulls a "questionable" ad? There's always going to be another company, some lowly dotcom that at the last minute will scrape together a few bucks to put one of their adds in a slot as a gamble. Someone decides these days to withhold sponsorship the ad guys for the channel shrug their shoulder's and pull out their blackberries and call the next tier advertisers, and say "have I got a deal for you?"

And some of you guys are like a bunch of old ladies with your knickers in a twist because you just want another reason to hate "big beer." Which more than likely had nothing to do with it.

And as to the evil 3 tier system, have you guys actually gone to a store lately??? THERE'S MORE CRAFT BEER ON THE SHELVES OF STORES THAN EVER BEFORE!!! Hell including big box stores like Kroger's Meijer's and even Wallyworld.

I've bought craft/micro/imported beers in Detroit since I turned 21 in 1986, whether it was micro brews at Traffic Jam or imported beers at Ye olde tap room, or Union street, or even Double Diamond or or Guiness back in the day in Detroit, and it's gotten better.

I see more and more craft beers in stores everyday. New ones, and regional ones that I've never seen before, so I just don't see these "hurdles" of the 3 tier system, by the Evil BMC empire that folks claim are out there being so insurmountable.

I use Port Huron as an example, it's still relatively a small town (30,000) , but I've got two party stores in walking distance from downtown where I live, (including a buschemi's) that have amazing craft beer selections and they add more shelf space for micros nearly weekly. Then if I get in my car I have 2 more places in a 3 mile radius that have craft beers, one of them has 3 times the brands that buscemi's has. Plus I can walk to 1 brew pub, two "normal" bars and one coffeehouse that has craft beers on tap. And those are just the ones I know about. I pass by a ton of beerstores in PH everyday that I've never been it...they could have craft beers as well, that I just don't know. And like I said, that's just in Port Huron..not to mention all the places in the detroit/metro area, as well as Krogers and Meijer's.

It's like the golden age of beer in America...we keep complaining about how bad BMC is and how they are keeping us from having craft beer...But I've got more available to me than ever before. BMC keeps losing sales, but the craft beer keeps filling shelf space. I mean there are more craft beer breweries represented these days in most of the stores that I frequent than bmc's offerings. Typically the first 3 fridge thingy's might be all of BMC, but the next 5 or 6 are all craft beers.

http://beerandwhiskeybros.com/2011/03/30/was-brewmasters-killed-by-big-beer/

I'm sure it's true. The only question is if #6 will ever air.

Uh, that's the original blog that started this whole thing, it's hardly something substantative....it's reffering to bourdain, and bourdian back to it, that's HARDLY a credible source...no different than the 50 threads that are popping up on here perpetuating this...And when you do a news search THE ONLY things that pop up are the tweets and that blog, it's a circle, they're referencing each other. There's nothing else out there that refrences anything other than those things.

It ain't journalism....it's memes in action.

And the 6th episode have supposedly aired already on scandanavian television and their are screen caps on here to prove it...also some websites including Discovery are saying the tentative airdate for the 6th episode is already set.

This was on discovery.com two days ago before this nonsense even broke.
Episode 6 description-"3 Beers For Batali" 06 [2011]

Italian craft breweries are examined. Dogfish Head Brewery opens its newest restaurant: a rooftop brewpub in New York City's Eataly, and creates a series of specialty beers for the pub. [NOTE: delays in the opening of the brewpub resulted in the episode remaining incomplete. A 2011 brewpub opening date has been set, and the accompanying episode is estimated to air in June of 2011.] [3]

And this is the post from the other day where some of us doubted that it aired anywhere and Seamus posted these....

You can watch it online if you live where it wasn't aired. Pretty easy to find, for some people I guess.

Not sure if they will change the ending for the US airing, to show the opening but I'm sure content won't be much different as the episode follows the same format as previous episodes.

Here are the screen caps but I'm sure there will be some new reason not to think it aired. You can keep trying to make me look like a troll though.

This is from a totally unrelated discussion to this, that occured BEFORE this rumor inducing nonsense began.

Back